Inherited a Whites

I recently inherited a Whites Coinmaster/D that my wifes stepfather used in CA. I do know that he found a 2.5 oz nugget with it as I say the pendent he made. Does anyone remember this detector or used it in the past. I tested it under the eves of the house and found old and not so old shingle nails. I may try it out at some old homesteads or line shacks here in West TX since I can't get out to AZ to use my ML4000. Montana you have tried about every detector ever made, I don't know how old it is.

vlf's can locate natural gold, depending on its relative alloy material, and soil mineralization- some, not all natural gold. Most VLF nugget shooters use a higher frequency than a coin shooter, which makes it very sensitive to natural gold, while offering ground mineralization cancellation. However, most dedicated nuggetshooters don't have discrimination that you'll find on a coinshooter.

Keep the whites for relic and cache hunting of coins, jewelry, relics, knickknacks, and for shooting old dumps. sometimes that pays far better than any gold you may or may not locate around the old mining camp, and can be rewarding and lucrative enough in and of itself

Thanks for the replies, It seems that the Whites is still a pretty good detector for coins and relics. I may try it in some of the very trashy washes that are loaded with tiny pieces of tin cans. I am sure the mineralization in AZ would make it tough to use but I use the ML 4000 there for nugget hunting. thanks again.

if you can afford it, get an array of coils, the most basic being a coil smaller than the stock coil, for use in trash and dumps, and a larger coil for caches and post hole banks.

Though it's buggy (and not well received on any professional nugget site) try making some L-rods (dowsing) and get some simple tips elsewhere on how to use them to locate general areas of coin caches. sure enough, most won't hit, but some do.

other places to hunt are brush arbors and picnic spots of old. Brush arbors were a sort of tree lined field used for picnic and get togethers that offered some protection from wind, as well as a shield from nosy neighbors who disdained gambling, drinking, betting, and family socials. most common in flat land like Minnesota, nebraska, dakotas, kansas, wisconsin, and such, some of these places yield really good finds. L-rods can assist in locating the post hole banks too, or lost robbery loot.

Laugh or insult if you wish, but either way, any search for any nugget or coin is very labor intensive, requires systematic coverage of acres and townships, as well as a lot of research and reading of archival information. The world today is not the world of 100 years ago. L-rods may help, but its the detector thats going to zero you in to the precise location, provided you have the right tuning and are using the right coil. What your goal should always be is quantity when scanning the horizons; after which you will be rewarded with quality quantity if your setup is tuned in.

Of course, not always is the treasure of the sort you want to find. After digging up some old whiskey bottles using the L-rods first time out, then later some silver bars, I've also dug up a few 'parts' (parts is parts when digging up human remains); perhaps not the greatest find, but if I hadn't dug them up, they'd all still be lying there in the cold dark ground. My first unrecognized omen of what was to be one of my greatest 'affinities' came when I was a boy scout playing hide and seek in the Valley of Fire, and jumping down into a nook, crunched right on some dead guy's rib cage- probably the only time I actually jumped on somebody.

Besides nuggets, coins, and parts, do a little research into meteoroids, as relic detectors are also good for that end of prospecting and personal enrichment.