Newbie needs advice on claims????

Hello all,

I am new to goldhunting and would like to know how it works with claims...1. is it okay to hunt on govornment land? (any restrictions) I'm mostly interested in detecting and maybe some panning. 2. How can you tell if land has a claim on it? (without researching at the County offices - for example - signs posted???) 3. If there are no fences or postings is it okay to prospect in unknown areas? (I am moving to Prescott this summer and there seems to be a whole lotta land out there - I doubt all of it has claims on it) 4. anyone wanna show their hot spots around Prescott :blush: ???

Thanks Steve

Hello all,

I am new to goldhunting and would like to know how it works with claims...1. is it okay to hunt on govornment land? (any restrictions) I'm mostly interested in detecting and maybe some panning. 2. How can you tell if land has a claim on it? (without researching at the County offices - for example - signs posted???) 3. If there are no fences or postings is it okay to prospect in unknown areas? (I am moving to Prescott this summer and there seems to be a whole lotta land out there - I doubt all of it has claims on it) 4. anyone wanna show their hot spots around Prescott :blush: ???

Thanks Steve

Hey steve There is alot of land in yapavai county which prescott is kind of in the middle. there are also thousands of old mines and claims. they should have signs posted on all four corners . best bet is to join some clubs like the GPAA and maybe a local club like roadrunners, ETC. You still have to do your home work. As far as local blm and forestry service dept. land it is just mostly panning and detecting. when you get settled in in prescott give me a shout and I'll point you in the general direction of some spots to get you started also some of the equiptment you'll need for this area. CURT

Thanks Curt. I will do that.

When you say posting on the four corners, does that take into consideration the size of the claim. If a claim is 1 acre or 1000 acres is it still just 4 corner posts? I certainly don't want to claim jump but when I'm out and about cruising down a dirt road and see a cool little wash that looks ripe for some detecting (no signs) ???

Okay here's another question...Can there be claims on BLM and forestry land?

Thanks Steve

YES!

Driving down some road and seeing a nice spot does not mean it is legal to prospect there even if you have not seen any signs. You need to do the homework on where you are going or researching. There are lots of claims up there, and open land too.

Be careful....

A good place to start is LR2000, a program put out by BLM which will show who has surface-management, current claims, old claims of any place in the US. Has a learning curve at first, but very informative. Goggle 'LR2000'

Rod, over on Arizona Gold Prospectors forum, has a good write up, right now on the LR2000 and using it with Google Earth

YES!

Driving down some road and seeing a nice spot does not mean it is legal to prospect there even if you have not seen any signs. You need to do the homework on where you are going or researching. There are lots of claims up there, and open land too.

Be careful....

You have a good point. A place like the La Paz placers have open claims on it but the land belongs to the Indian's. The LR2000 won't show the new res lines. I am working 5 claims at La Paz these are club claims. I had to do a lot of research

to find where I could hunt so I joined two clubs just to hunt the placers (well worth the money). My point is just because there are claims the open land around them may be closed. Check out the maps from uncle Ron.

Good luck Ron