I Thought It Stopped Raining

I got up early, hoping the weatherman said it looks good today. It was pouring rain on and off early and by 0700 hrs, it stopped. I was out the door, eager to see if the hard dried out dirt got a good soaking. It did...I hit a little patch we found this Summer and found myself digging targets I know we've been over 2 times each. With the soil moist down to about 10 inches deep I was busy digging new targets and then found myself putting on my rain gear. It was coming down hard and I didn't see any clear skies. I didn't get skunked and left after a short hunt with a couple nuggets. Of course it stopped raining and I can see some blue skies...Until our next hunt!

LuckyLundy

14Oct09VetDig16dwtNhole-1.jpg

14Oct09VetDigOnScale-1.jpg

I got up early, hoping the weatherman said it looks good today. It was pouring rain on and off early and by 0700 hrs, it stopped. I was out the door, eager to see if the hard dried out dirt got a good soaking. It did...I hit a little patch we found this Summer and found myself digging targets I know we've been over 2 times each. With the soil moist down to about 10 inches deep I was busy digging new targets and then found myself putting on my rain gear. It was coming down hard and I didn't see any clear skies. I didn't get skunked and left after a short hunt with a couple nuggets. Of course it stopped raining and I can see some blue skies...Until our next hunt!

LuckyLundy

14Oct09VetDig16dwtNhole-1.jpg

14Oct09VetDigOnScale-1.jpg

I knew that you would be out the first chance that you could. Glad that you found a couple . Keep on Trucking. Doug :)

Grub,

We got a couple inches here too. A few standing puddles, but soaked in the soil like a sponge! Looking forward to easy digging this Winter. Take care,

LuckyLundy

Lucky,

I'm hearing something different that when I was out at Rye Patch for training. I was told training wouldn't be that effective as it had rained lightly the whole weekend. From what I read, you look forward to the ground being moist. Send me an email and go into detail. Thanks.

h20prospector

Shoot!!! I love detecting after a nice rain. The ground is ten times easier to dig and you will be digging deeper targets too. I don't know if it conducts better or what is going on but wet ground is better than dry ground in my opinion. Maybe the instructor didn't want to get wet.

Oh and I told ya Rick as you already knew, after the rains we will have new patches all over again. See ya this weekend, try to save me some gold to dig ehh.

Lucky,

I'm hearing something different that when I was out at Rye Patch for training. I was told training wouldn't be that effective as it had rained lightly the whole weekend. From what I read, you look forward to the ground being moist. Send me an email and go into detail. Thanks.

h20prospector

I agree with Lucky, You get better response when the ground is wet. Doug

H20,

When the dirt is wet/soaked it's loose and not compacted/dense. Everything gets to spread out, less false signals, more targets and more important deeper targets. If your working a Summer patch or and old patch, now is the time to set your detector to deep and drag your coil like your dragging a ten pound weight. Them lunkers might only give you one chance to hear their whisper! I was out again this morning, it was raining again! But, pulled one out before it got real bad. Until our next hunt!

LuckyLundy

H20 prospector. The Northern Nevada goldfeilds contain salts and alkalis. Wet ground there can cause problems , but once the surface dries and there is a little moisture at depth you might see a detecting advantage. In all areas I like to see a relatively dry surface and moisture below . Totally saturated or totally dry I don't like.----Bob

Yo All...My experience has been that the red dirt, when wet, gives you a couple to five inches with a larger coil...Last year went over a patch that produced real well, then it rained and I pulled another ounce in five pieces around fifteen inches deep...goopie, but cool... Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah