Animal Defense in the Field?

With bees, one has to understand what they are doing when you encounter them. The big fast moving clouds of bees are called a swarm . They are in the process of moving the colony , and very rarely attack and sting. Feeding bees rarely launch an attack . Bees at a waterhole getting a drink rarely attack. The one situation that is really dangerous is when you get too close to a hive . They will defend it and the queen fiercely. I watch out for bees flying around the entrance of a small cave or opening in the rocks. A hollow tree is a favorite place for a hive. Steer clear of any bunch of bees around a tree trunk. Ron didn't get stung because that was swarming bees . I often find myself in a swarm and don't worry about it. I also often have to step over water holes where bees are watering, and don't worry about it. I also don't worry about sitting under a Palo verde tree where bees are feeding on the nectar from the flowers.

I heard recently that the Africanized bees aren't nearly as fierce as they were 10 years ago. As they hybridize with the much mellower domestic bees and the wild north american bees the fierce aggressiveness is slowly getting bred out of them generation by generation. That being said, I agree that bees are more of a threat to prospectors than Mountain lions.----Bob

bees hadn't cross my mind, though through my family I do know of one poor chap on a field trip that fell into a crevice where bees had a hive. Don't know if that was the outcome (falling in, then bees) or if he strayed too close and ended up in there. 2 hrs after his extraction he was pronouced not alive.

Personally I'd take a long knife. Not allowed in some countries, perfectly useless against bees. Might have a chance against a large animal. Maybe not against a honey badger.

If you're in Oz, you have to watch out for....people....

I go up to Alaska every summer. My friends and fishing buddies carry Bear spray, and a handgun. It has a range of at least 25 ft and looks like a small fire ext. I would imagine it would work on everything from rabid cats to bears,if they can't see or smell you, you will have a chance to put some distance between the two of you and change shorts. Dave

I read an article about tests that were done on the effectiveness of Tasers on bears. It said it was very effective and I would think the secondary contact use could be a great feature too. I saw a video of a LEO using his Taser against a raging Pitbull. Stopped the sucker instantly and sent him yelping as he ran off...his baton had zero effect prior to Tas'ng the pooch...

Too bad the brilliant politico's in my State outlawed them here. Now the only guys that have them are the people who don't obey the laws and misuse them for bad things. Using them for defense will land you in jail...probably for longer than the perp!