Los Angeles Museum of Natural History (Gold)

Well, I am in southern California for the job and I decided to take a break and go to LA and see some old places I grew up at, then I went to the museum and saw some yellow metal! Nice looking slugs that's for sure! Enjoy...P.S. Is there any place in the San Gabriel mountains a guy can swing a detector and not get read the Riot Act of California? Guido

post-21178-127941973705_thumb.jpg

post-21178-127941974649_thumb.jpg

post-21178-127941975466_thumb.jpg

post-21178-127941976395_thumb.jpg

GUIDO!!! Great photos buddy - THANK YOU for sharing! I never get tired of looking at those huge nuggs! - Terry

Well, I am in southern California for the job and I decided to take a break and go to LA and see some old places I grew up at, then I went to the museum and saw some yellow metal! Nice looking slugs that's for sure! Enjoy...P.S. Is there any place in the San Gabriel mountains a guy can swing a detector and not get read the Riot Act of California? Guido

Thanks Guido...

Small world... For those who have a copy of "three hours to gold from southern californa" reference the bottom paragraph

on pg. 52. Tye sold the Mojave Queen to KRISTALLE. (Wayne Leicht: WWW.kristalle.com) who advertise they buy collections, with over 100 collections acquired since 1971.

According to the notes of the late George Elwood (p. 49-53)of Johannesburg California, the actual area where it was found was most likely in the El Paso range.

Rob may still have copies of "three hours," left to sell.

Forsaking his family and self-driven; Tye spent most of his time searching for both treasure and gold. He sold his first gold nugget to Mr. Wayne Leicht in the earlier 1970's; it was a one pound nugget; then later another that weighted three pounds.

The Mojave Queen was found around August or September of 1977. Eventually it was sold to Mr. Leicht, KRISTALLE, in

Laguna Beach. To cut to the quick, George Pratt, George's nephew Dick Ayers, Willie Merrill, and Roy Roush were a few who most likely knew were the 13-pound nugget was actually found... to be brief, there is a Tertiary auriferous channel that once drained to the east from the Sierra Nevada Range and daylights in parts of the El Paso range.

... to be brief, there is a Tertiary auriferous channel that once drained to the east from the Sierra Nevada Range and daylights in parts of the El Paso range.

Wow! Thanks Jim, that's really great information! I've run into a few stranded Tertiary reefs and they can be very rich.

Is this from "Three Hours to Gold from Southern California"?

clay

MinerDiggins

Yes it is... Dues to space contraints I briefly mention the channel on p. 40.

Randy Seden, Charlie Behrens nephew, has sampled cross the channel seeking a run... On p. 52, bottom paragraph, George Elwood briefly alludes to it. When George passed away he was researching its pathway. But, the information was not in George's notes that were given to me by his brother Richard. Go to p. 114. Ref. Elwood, George, 2004.

After I wrote the article honoring George, I returned all of George's research notes back to his brother Richard.

Again a Big thanks to Guido for posting the photos. The

Mojave Queen is still the largest nugget found in the El Paso... However, if my memory is right, one was reported as being found back in the early days valued at $400 at what is known as Mormon Flat when gold was $20.67/oz.

Mr. Leicht sold the Mojave Queen to a collector. Their

name is barely visible on the plaque behind the nugget.

They loaned it out to the Los Angeles Natural History

Museum.

I believe Pat Keene of Keene Engineering is about the most knowlegeable regarding the "trace" of the channel from the Sierra Nevada Mountains as it daylights in the

various parts of the El Pasos.

Archived