California hydraulic mining sites

I went up to a small hydraulic mining site yesterday to try out the GB2. I was looking for bedrock and I guess I am use to river bedrock that's smooth. I saw something that looked like mounds of rock where dirt and sediments was washed from around it but it was really porous and crumbled easy. Is that the bedrock at hydraulic mining sites or is it solid like at the river?

I've heard the smaller operations did ground sluicing. where I guess the channeled the sediment to a sluice they cut into the ground, sometimes on bedrock and sometimes just close to it. The place I'm looking at looks small scale so I though if I can find the sluice area where everything was directed toward that would probably be the spot to detect. Am I way off base here as to how they processed what they washed down? If not how could you tell where the sluice was?

Another thing is I know of a couple larger operations that have half mile sluice tunnels bored through the side of a mountain. I've been at the exit end of one of them. I took about 5 gal of dirt to sample it might have had a flake or two. I'm sure the entrace of the sluice would be the better place to look. Anyone know anything about the big operation sluice tunnels?

Edit: Oh yeah, I found a couple pickers yesterday... well, lead pickers. :D At least I think so. They're lead color on one side and copper on the other. But I like the way the GB2 works so far and the iron disciminate is nice because it shuts off the sound completely. Every once in a while you hear something with it on like cutting in and out. I just use it to test though, don't have it on all the time.

They're lead color on one side and copper on the other. But I like the way the GB2 works so far and the iron disciminate is nice because it shuts off the sound completely. Every once in a while you hear something with it on like cutting in and out. I just use it to test though, don't have it on all the time.

Lets see pictures. Could be mercury on one side.

Sounds like you may have detected some shards of copper jacketed bullets, post a clear pic to tell for sure.

And keep at it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's some kind of bullet pieces. Here's a pic.

maybecopper.jpg

I went up to a small hydraulic mining site yesterday to try out the GB2. I was looking for bedrock and I guess I am use to river bedrock that's smooth. I saw something that looked like mounds of rock where dirt and sediments was washed from around it but it was really porous and crumbled easy. Is that the bedrock at hydraulic mining sites or is it solid like at the river?

Hard to say based on only your verbal description, but yes I have seen both soft and hard bottoms for old tertiary channels and sometimes both are present in the same pit.

I've heard the smaller operations did ground sluicing. where I guess the channeled the sediment to a sluice they cut into the ground, sometimes on bedrock and sometimes just close to it. The place I'm looking at looks small scale so I though if I can find the sluice area where everything was directed toward that would probably be the spot to detect. Am I way off base here as to how they processed what they washed down? If not how could you tell where the sluice was?

Usually the sluice was moved around during the operation, so there is no one place where the sluice always was. Usually exposed bedrock or areas with very shallow material over bedrock are the places to look in these old pits.

Another thing is I know of a couple larger operations that have half mile sluice tunnels bored through the side of a mountain. I've been at the exit end of one of them. I took about 5 gal of dirt to sample it might have had a flake or two. I'm sure the entrace of the sluice would be the better place to look. Anyone know anything about the big operation sluice tunnels?

Yes, the tunnels are usually extremely dangerous. You might want to explore aroudn the mouth, but be careful and stay out.

Edit: Oh yeah, I found a couple pickers yesterday... well, lead pickers. biggrin.gif At least I think so. They're lead color on one side and copper on the other. But I like the way the GB2 works so far and the iron disciminate is nice because it shuts off the sound completely. Every once in a while you hear something with it on like cutting in and out. I just use it to test though, don't have it on all the time.

Fragments of copper jacketed bullets - quite common.

wjbell,

Reno Chris, gave you rock solid information. Now your swinging a GB2 and that lead will sound like a nice nugget. Make sure your well tuned and listen for the little squeeks. Kick a little dirt away from your target and listen again. The GB2 is very sensitive and will pickup very small flakes/specks of gold. I hunt alot in Iron Disc to find the pickers and then will switch it back into Normal or Boost for the smaller flakes. I noticed you where talking about some earphone and got some earbuds, they should work for you just fine. If not get a pair of Koss headphones from Rob. Good luck.

LuckyLundy

Archived