California Dreaming

I purchased Mrs LuckyLundy's GP Extreme a few months back and part of the deal was to hunt a 6 pound patch with some lessons by LuckyLundy himself. It's my first Minelab and I knew I needed some tutoring on the finer points of this PI machine, so off to Northern California for a 5 day hunting session with some of the great names I follow on the forums. Names like Rick "LuckyLundy", Bob "Montana", Steve "El Dorado", and of course the lady shooter Robin "Mrs LuckyLundy". I even had the pleasure of a two day hunt with Rick "Road Dog" out of Nevada.

Off to LuckyLundy's patch's, he showed me the settings, ground balancing and a some other information that still skips my mind! But, right in the middle of his patch I was set loose to strike it rich in the California Motherlode. Even though I was surrounded by some of the best nugget shooter's in the country, I soon found myself alone and no one in sight! Lucky told me to dig everything that them big nuggets sound like a square nail or big piece of trash. Hours later, with a sore back and knees, the group gathers to hike back to their trucks. All had gold except me, but I had 5 pounds of recyclable history in my pouch! The next 3 days was the same story and I told Lucky I feel like I'm back in the Army clearing a mine field. He patted me on the back and thanked me for clearing out all that trash and I figured it out!!! My last day to hunt Lucky promised me some gold, but I had to use the GoldBug 2. Bob "Montana" found a little spot in a shallow ditch that he pulled 5 nuggets out of a couple days before. Both Bob and Rick, told me there is GB2 gold there to be found. Lucky tuned my GB2 and found a nice sounding target for me. He let me hear it and then I dug it out and sure as anything, it was gold. Now, I had my GB2 in hand and still in the shadow of Lucky, I quickly found another target. It sounded just like the one I dug up a couple minutes earlier and Bingo, my first nugget ever! I dug up a dozen more small GB2 nuggets before we called it a day. I had my best sleep of my stay that night with dreams of finding more California gold on my next visit. I'd like to thank my new friends for all the tips and kindness during my visit to NorCal and I'm off to Alaska with a new job at the Veterans Hospital in Anchorage.

paul

Paul.jpg

Paul,

You earned them little GoldBug2 nuggets and I hope we didn't overload you with information on our knowledge of prospecting and metal detecting. Take what you learned and find some gold Way Up North, in Alaska! Until our next hunt.

LuckyLundy

Hey Paul did,nt you know thats how they break in the new guy, get them to clean out the trash so they can find the gold? Well it happens ,But not with those fine gentelmen, you got a real experiance there,Also sound like you really gave it a good try,I have taken people out who after a few hours start to fade,With that get up and go kind of determanation you will be on to your own patches in no time at all,

Hey Paul did,nt you know thats how they break in the new guy, get them to clean out the trash so they can find the gold? Well it happens ,But not with those fine gentelmen, you got a real experiance there,Also sound like you really gave it a good try,I have taken people out who after a few hours start to fade,With that get up and go kind of determanation you will be on to your own patches in no time at all,

Yeah i see that now, lol....seemed like the next day there were 3 detectors going over the place i had been "learning" on,,,hahaha.....it's all good and they did help me a bunch...

Congratulations Paul! I guess it IS true... Even hillbillies CAN find gold! :rolleyes: Good luck in Alaska! - Terry

I hear you Terry!.....New Yorker!

Small gold is better than no gold! Too bad one of the big trash targets didn't surprise you.

Matt

That's what i kept hoping for ---a big ole fat one!!

Great story Paul, glad you aslo had the chance to visit the "cave". Good luck way up North and thanks again for helping our Vets!

Thanks for all your help and tell your wife thanks for the sandwich!!!!

Airborne!

Pretty groovy, Paul!

I've decided that I'm hunting for rusty trash, so I can be successful every outing.

Gold is just icing on the cake ;)

Congratulations on your first nugz, and I see more and larger in your future.

Also, Kudos to those who helped you.

Thanks Kelly,

Lucky mounted the horseshoe in his rock garden!

Paul,

You earned them little GoldBug2 nuggets and I hope we didn't overload you with information on our knowledge of prospecting and metal detecting. Take what you learned and find some gold Way Up North, in Alaska! Until our next hunt.

LuckyLundy

Thanks for everything Rick....I got the handbook printed and will have plenty to read while in AK.....good tip for panning after i left your

place, got a little color and re3ally enjoyed the scenery, Hope to see you all soon,,,,and did you see what Road Dog pulled out!!!

Again thank you and Mrs. Lucky for the wonderful hospitality, it was a real blessing to be able to come into your home and meet you all.

paul

Well look at those nuggets, you did it Paul, Congratulations to ya!!!!!!!!

Thanks RD, i am ready to come up to your area now!!!

Those are beautiful!!!

paul

Great job. You must be a fast learner.

I also offer my thanks for your service and aid to our "brothers and sisters"

And I recognized the salute: "Airborne".....82nd, 1965-1968

Patrick in Havasu.....

"All the way".....

Thanks Patrick......

Lucky doesn't really give Army guys much chance to be slow learners.....he seems to think we all need a lot of "coaching" (read...boot camp).....lol ---Actually he is a great teacher cause he won't do it all for you,,,,he even made me dig my own holes.....what's up with that???

Thanks for your service!

Archived