Target ID on Xterra 705

Hi all,

I am just wondering how good the TID on the ML Xterra 705 is, for gold hunting.

I remember a while back someone saying that using a 705 in tandem with a PI in trashy areas, to dig only good targets is rather effective. (I think it may have been DOC?)

What I really would like to know is how well will it tell between gold, and the usual goldfields junk?

IE can you tell between gold and brass bulletshells,and lead, Iron etc?

I already have a ML PI, and I'm wondering if I bought the 705, and had a partner following behind to dig only the good targets with the 705, this may work well?

Any help on this would be apppreciated :)

Thanks in advance...

GT

You would do the discrimination in the Coin and Relic Mode. There are 4 levels for ferrous metals -8, -6, -4, -2 so you would leave all of them marked. Then there are 24 non-ferrous segments that you can use for discrimination. Ranging from 2 to 48 incremented by 2 for each step 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.

The neat thing about the Xterra, is it acts similar to the E-Trac. You can take a brass casing, throw it on the ground, wave your coil over it, see where it hits on the discrimination scale, let's say a 32, and lock it out. That way you won't hear it, but it flashes when you go over the target. Or better yet just leave it on, notate the numerical value of different trash targets, and you will soon learn where all the craps hits on the discrimination scale, then you can just mark the ground where there are undesirable targets. Then throw a nice size nugget on the ground and see where that hits on the scale.

When you go into prospecting mode, you have discrimination, but it is less accurate, however the detector becomes super sensitive so it can hear small nuggets. It goes into Iron Mask, you can set the iron mask from 1 to 20. 1 You find smaller gold but more trash, 20 you find less trash but may miss smaller nuggets.

So you use the Coin Relic mode to do the very definitive discrimination, and then use the prospecting mode to find the gold.

Down in Lake Havasu, one of the gold fields is littered with 50 caliber rounds. This discrimination feature would be extremely helpful.

I would recommend that you invest in the round 10.5 inch DD 18.75 kHz Gold coil to achieve maximum depth.

Hope that helps.

Download X-Terra 705 Manual

Doc

• 8 months later...
I would recommend that you invest in the round 10.5 inch DD 18.75 kHz Gold coil to achieve maximum depth.

Doc,

Sorry, I just happened on this thread. I am thinking of getting an X-Terra 705 as a backup machine for my GPX at DIV. Who makes the coil you referenced?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am just wondering how good the TID on the ML Xterra 705 is, for gold hunting.

I remember a while back someone saying that using a 705 in tandem with a PI in trashy areas, to dig only good targets is rather effective. (I think it may have been DOC?)

What I really would like to know is how well will it tell between gold, and the usual goldfields junk?

IE can you tell between gold and brass bulletshells,and lead, Iron etc?

I already have a ML PI, and I'm wondering if I bought the 705, and had a partner following behind to dig only the good targets with the 705, this may work well?

Any help on this would be apppreciated :)

Thanks in advance...

GT

Wife and I have been detecting with PI and 705. She goes 1st w/705 in prospect mode, mark spots with flags, I come along and check her hot spots w/3000. Most times I am able to tell her nothing there. If I get a hit she comes back in coin and relic mode and double checks and pinpoints.

Archived