1st trip out with 5000

well i went out today, met up with sandtrap. hes a very nice fun guy. they just dont make ol boys like that anymore. i loved listening to his knowledge and his sense of humor is awesom. we clicked very good. gonna meet him again tommorow for new area to hunt. i used the 11in double d coil all day. i was finding birdshot i could barely see and peices of lead so small if the minelab didnt scream i never would see them. depth was awesome. some of the birdshot was down 6-8 inches easy. thought for sure that deeo would been gold lol. no luck today. but none the less enjoyed ol sandtraps company.i ran it in everyuthing preset settings. im happy with that for the moment.i was definately digging smaller targets deeper than i ever had to before. so i know im working towards my first nugget.try again tomorrow. any idea what coils would be best in the preset modes. i have the 11in round dd. the 11in round mono, 12x15 eleptical mono,8 in round mono. these are all commander coils.im hunting in the randsburg area in ca.

john

Well John... I'm glad you are hooked up with Jerry... He knows where to go. The gold is mostly small "bread and butter" flakes and what can be called a nugget. Most of the ground is not mineralized and any VLF or PI will work okay... however,

the point of ground balance varies from foot to foot and there is small trash everywhere. But then again there are surly some nice nuggets yet to be found within the caliche. :) Keep at it... My Best... Jim

thanks jim, im learning the ropes. ol jerry talks very highly of you. im sure ill get the honors to meet you also soon. he tells me you also have a very handy book about that area. id like to know how to come about a copy. im headed out again tomorrow and be out few times this week checking all the oc 49ers claims out. and really get some beeping in. im gonna try the other coils out tomorrow. kinda switch to a mono, maybe swing hat big boy around, or the smaller one.im finding the small peices of lead and old birdshot pretty deep, so im confident its just matter of getting it over some gold.thanks again jim for your input. if you have a day you plan going out, let me know. id like to do some beeping with ya. and learn from ya some.

john

Thanks John... The Randsburg General Store has the book Jerry refers to. They have a century-old bar which is a soda fountain; also groceries and a restaurant.

I have been going to this area since about 1962... Before any prospecting associations. Keep in mind that placer was worked on a large scale during the great depression by drywashing and trommels.

The better nuggethunting areas to be found are where the oldtimers camped as this was near their claims. Rusty tin cans mark the sites.

To maximize and hone your skills be sure to study the manual and follow all the threads within this forum regarding the tips and information that can be gleaned regarding the "how-to's" of using your GPX-5000. :) Best... Jim

Thanks John... The Randsburg General Store has the book Jerry refers to. They have a century-old bar which is a soda fountain; also groceries and a restaurant.

I have been going to this area since about 1962... Before any prospecting associations. Keep in mind that placer was worked on a large scale during the great depression by drywashing and trommels.

The better nuggethunting areas to be found are where the oldtimers camped as this was near their claims. Rusty tin cans mark the sites.

To maximize and hone your skills be sure to study the manual and follow all the threads within this forum regarding the tips and information that can be gleaned regarding the "how-to's" of using your GPX-5000. :) Best... Jim

thanks jim, ill pick up copy next trip. ive heard alot great things about you and your books. i was out there and met jerry and rich again today, no luck but im defnately finding some peices of lead and birdshot i cant hardly see, lol. its very smaoll and a good 3-4 inches easy or mopre.dug up a 44 slug about 15in lol.im reading, listening,and learning in the field.i aint givin up though, m just getting started lol.im really enjoying the weather out there, its nice.i hunted from about 10 am til dusk today.ill be back out there again in day or so.

john

here are a couple pics fellas, me and sandtrap ,and sandtrap and rich,i can say they are my friends now, and im proud to meet ol fellas like thes guys. nice to know there kind still exist. very friendly, but damn straight lol.ol sandtrap cracks me up. i just love listening to everything he has to say, im sure he has forgot more than ill ever know. yet hes still very full of knowledge and alot of fun to be around. couldnt ask for better company.anyways, here are few picks, we got skunked again, but i like to call it just warming up lol.

john

post-423-128979303446_thumb.jpg

Guest sandtrap

I have a "big" head, but I did not realize,it was that big !

Don't forget, Bickel's this week, then RR. got to get you over a nugget,... :rolleyes: Maybe some catfishin ........

Guest sandtrap

Ollie {the alien} was sitting in the back of my Zuki today. Surprised the CHP that past me on 395, did not pull me over. I think he took a picture of Ollie.. I'll probably get a ticket by mail,,for transporting an alien in the rear of my vehicle- then again, aliens have more rights than we do.

i think i might head back out tomorrow and try the goler gulch area, the oc 49ers have 2 claims up in there. so i might go for the day and check it out. if youe reading jerry, u are welcome to join me.im thinking maybe we can do the sleepover this weekend, unless you think too many people will be up there.i get paid friday and always good to have extra money to wipe our butts with, thats about the only thing i can figure its good for when your lost lol.

john

Archived