I've been validated

Hello from West Virgina,

I am looking forward to having discussions with seasoned people on how to search for Gold. I am mainly interested in accquiring a small portable dredging unit as I have found there are reports of Gold being found on the banks of the Ohio river. Namingly Monroe County. I am sure there is someone here who can give me some pointers on how to get started.

TTFN

Rich

Rich,

As you may know you can no-longer dredge in the State of California, I'd check in your home State too. So there are hundreds of dredging sitting idle in our State, to include mine. Having dredge for decades, I can tell you that dredging isn't for everyone. I'd suggest you find a dredger in a State that allows this form of prospecting to get your feet wet first to learn the in's and out's! Just like any form of prospecting you just don't float your dredge in a given section of waterway, you have to understand waterflow and how gold will travel and settle in it's course downstream.

Good Luck,

LuckyLundy

Rich,

Good for you wanting to get in on the adventure.

I agree that it's best to hook up with someone already dredging to get your feet wet and see what's involved.

People who know what they're doing make anything look easy, but dredging is arduous and dangerous. (I speak with the authority of someone who's never done it ;)

Best bet if you see someone doing it is to offer to help carry their gear, and get some training for free or a little of the return.

Then go from there.

Have fun!

Yes there is glacial gold carried down from Canada in many of the souteast states. The amounts in West Virginia are very small and access to the rivers is poor, so I'd suggest you try joining a local GPAA club, go with some of the members in the field and see what you can pan out of the rivers. If you are real successful panning, then move up to a sluice or dredge.

Lots better southern gold in parts of Georgia.

Chris

I have a couple of friends who are members of the GPAA, We have discussed plans on an expedition of local stream rumoured to contain plaicer deposits. Ofcourse this won't be until spring. Until than I am panning concentrates I got in N.C. last summer. Trying to keep busy while I am off work. Thank you all for the info.

Rich

Archived