Sudan Part 4

Most of the stuff I ate looked like some kind of something or other. However it was all delicious.

I got a laugh out of the narration when I said, "When we come back from the trip this is the lamb we are going to celebrate with." Like there was going to be a music band and we were all going to get to dance with the lamb?

What I meant to say it that we are going to eat the lamb at the celebration, but I was trying to avoid saying that. Slaughtering a lamb for a guest is a great honor there as meat is not as plentiful as it is here.

I actually have video footage of the lamb being slaughtered. "It might be a little too graphic for You Tube, unless I blur it out." They hired a professional butcher who does the slaughter in a very quick and efficient way. I watched as the lamb was butchered and cooked and then we sat down and ate it. This is the same thing that happens all over the U.S. every day with cows and all types of livestock. If not the meat departments would not be full of meat at our grocery stores. It's just in Sudan they do it right at their house.

You can buy lamb at the local roadside stands, but you don't know how long it has been hanging in the sun, so butchering it yourself insures you are getting fresh meat.

I'll keep working on the rest of the video. And release 10 to 14 minutes at a time. I haven't got many comments so I don't know if people are enjoying this or not.

Doc

I was so flippin' tired, and I was so hungry, I didn't care. It tasted good, it was fresh, and I was going to eat it.

Beside, I was of the mind that when in Sudan, do as the Sudanese do. I love ethnic food and I have always been one to try everything I can.

Doc

Looks like a great adventure Doc!! I got a giggle out of the late nite sandwich. "Some kind of meat" :lol:

Yo Doc...I watched all four of them and it was very interesting...If you'd like critique, the first three were too much talking head...I fast forwarded to the point where you were explaining the geochemical origins of gold and that was pretty good...I think you're on to an ultimately good finish...All in all, though, thank you for sharing the experience with us all...It certainly is a once in a life time thing...I can't wait to see the next entry...Cheers, Unc

I don't know Doc. Unlike The Unc, I can't get enough "Head!" You go boy! I watched the footage of the huge workings you shot from the top of a windy hill, and the false target vid. What a trip, what an experience! MORE! - Terry

Well don't get too excited, I saw a lot of detectors, and a lot of ground where the gold had been but very little gold.

Doc

Just finished watching all 4 videos, cant wait for you to get to the gold !!

Unfortunately you are going to see a lot more talking head. I wanted to take you along on the journey with me and try to give you something of a narration of what was going on. You will see me at times where I can't hardly put two words together because of lack of sleep and exhaustion.

I was on a quest. I wanted to learn about the conditions that caused the gold rush, help educate the prospectors over there by planting the seeds of knowledge of how to use their machines and how to actually go out and prospect new ground. I also wanted to understand how there could be a major gold rush that caused thousands of detectors, literally millions upon millions of dollars worth of detectors sold, and all of a sudden the market dried up.

Here in the U,S, we had something like 5 dealers sell over a million dollars worth of metal detectors each! Gerry McMullen, and Ron Coen, Chris Gholson, I think Metal Detector Distributors, and of course Kellyco. That is an amazing amount of metal detectors, and that doesn't even count how many Whites, Teknetics and other brands that were sold.

So, this amateur documentary is sort of a Les Stroud Survivorman format. Just me yacking away into the camera off most of the time.

If you don't like head shots, you probably won't like the video of that lamb's head coming off, that was a real head shot. :rolleyes:

Doc

Yo Doc...I watched all four of them and it was very interesting...If you'd like critique, the first three were too much talking head...I fast forwarded to the point where you were explaining the geochemical origins of gold and that was pretty good...I think you're on to an ultimately good finish...All in all, though, thank you for sharing the experience with us all...It certainly is a once in a life time thing...I can't wait to see the next entry...Cheers, Unc

Most of the stuff I ate looked like some kind of something or other. However it was all delicious.

I got a laugh out of the narration when I said, "When we come back from the trip this is the lamb we are going to celebrate with." Like there was going to be a music band and we were all going to get to dance with the lamb?

What I meant to say it that we are going to eat the lamb at the celebration, but I was trying to avoid saying that. Slaughtering a lamb for a guest is a great honor there as meat is not as plentiful as it is here.

I actually have video footage of the lamb being slaughtered. "It might be a little too graphic for You Tube, unless I blur it out." They hired a professional butcher who does the slaughter in a very quick and efficient way. I watched as the lamb was butchered and cooked and then we sat down and ate it. This is the same thing that happens all over the U.S. every day with cows and all types of livestock. If not the meat departments would not be full of meat at our grocery stores. It's just in Sudan they do it right at their house.

You can buy lamb at the local roadside stands, but you don't know how long it has been hanging in the sun, so butchering it yourself insures you are getting fresh meat.

I'll keep working on the rest of the video. And release 10 to 14 minutes at a time. I haven't got many comments so I don't know if people are enjoying this or not.

Doc

What a great adventure Doc ^_^ , It's an interesting journey.Though Lambs meat is comsiderded the best meat in Sudan not the other kinds of meats.Sudan has plentiful

livestock (Stock) that's near to Australia in numbers, just the last year 2010 Sudan exported nearly 2 milions of animal meat -live or fresh meat- so there is no shortage in meat :kettles,camels ...etc exported yearly to neghboring countries like Eagpt,Saudi Arabia and other Gulf Countries.

Any way thanks Doc for the videos.I sent you a private massage.

Dear Geo,

Perhaps it is not that the meat is not plentiful, but perhaps it is more expensive than other food? I don't know because my guests would not allow me to pay for anything. NOTHING! I felt badly because they would not let me share in the expenses. But they insisted that I was their guest and this was their honor to make sure I was well taken care of. I have never met such generous people with such a loving giving nature.

However, I loved the all of the food. One day in the desert we had like a lentil soup. I had bread with falafel stuffed inside with cucumber sauce; it makes me hungry just thinking of it. Then in the desert we had something that was like thin noodles that were cooked and they added some tomato sauce to it I believe and sugar. My guests told me it was like a desert. I don't know what it was called but it too was delicious.

Geo, as you live in Sudan. Perhaps you can help me identify some of this food I ate. I took 12 bread in my luggage when I came home and shared it with my family.

Thanks!

Doc

What a great adventure Doc ^_^ , It's an interesting journey.Though Lambs meat is comsiderded the best meat in Sudan not the other kinds of meats.Sudan has plentiful

livestock (Stock) that's near to Australia in numbers, just the last year 2010 Sudan exported nearly 2 milions of animal meat -live or fresh meat- so there is no shortage in meat :kettles,camels ...etc exported yearly to neghboring countries like Eagpt,Saudi Arabia and other Gulf Countries.

Any way thanks Doc for the videos.I sent you a private massage.

Archived