Frankenstein wireless headphones

I was looking for a way to go wireless on my GMT. I've been using cheaper headphones with just enough cord and I'm always pulling them off my head cause I forget and stand up, or I can't set the detector down too far from me, cord gets wrapped around something, etc. I went online and found a FM transmitter/receiver for a wireless mic and figured I could modify it to work with the detector. The only thing I had to do was open up the receiver and desolder the 1/4 male jack and solder wires running to a 1/8 female jack that the headphones would plug into. I tested it out before the mods and it's got good range. I was 10 feet away from it with a wall blocking me and it still picked up good. Seems like it's going to work. The only issues are battery life and volume. When I get my detector back I'll test it out and post the results if anyone's interested. I'm also going to clean up the headphone install and make it more permanent if it works good.

post-29631-129877000133_thumb.jpg

WJbell,look at wal-mart,radio shack's web page ect.. and you can find good cheap quality wireless head phones,some are re-chargable,very light weight.go back in the forum's history,use search,type in wireless head phones.lot's of good information to be had. arizona outback,nugget shooter.all have good info on wireless head phones.also volume can be enhanced using boosters.check them out.and wjbell it's all about what works for you.good luck. PS...your set-up reminds me of my military days.

T-Bone

Hey, thanks guys. Well it didn't work out as planned. The quality of the transmitter receiver is kind of crappy. I guess $10 shipped from China should've been my first clue. :rolleyes: The volume was real low and distorted. Also the wireless signal interfered with the detector.

I'll check out walmart or radio shack and see what they have.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for a way to go wireless on my GMT. I've been using cheaper headphones with just enough cord and I'm always pulling them off my head cause I forget and stand up, or I can't set the detector down too far from me, cord gets wrapped around something, etc. I went online and found a FM transmitter/receiver for a wireless mic and figured I could modify it to work with the detector. The only thing I had to do was open up the receiver and desolder the 1/4 male jack and solder wires running to a 1/8 female jack that the headphones would plug into. I tested it out before the mods and it's got good range. I was 10 feet away from it with a wall blocking me and it still picked up good. Seems like it's going to work. The only issues are battery life and volume. When I get my detector back I'll test it out and post the results if anyone's interested. I'm also going to clean up the headphone install and make it more permanent if it works good.

Archived