Gold panning/nugget hunting in California this summer. Need advice.

Hello everyone. My family and I are going to Cali this summer for a wedding. I want to take my boys gold panning somewhere after the wedding. I have no idea how to do it and would like a touristy type place to go. Somewhere preferably that teaches you, is kid friendly and you can rent equipment. I think the boys would love it. Anyone suggest a place to go learn?

I plan on bringing a Teknetics G2 or Fisher Gold bug pro to use if I can.

Thanks for you responses! Love to hear any and all suggestions!

Hello everyone. My family and I are going to Cali this summer for a wedding. I want to take my boys gold panning somewhere after the wedding. I have no idea how to do it and would like a touristy type place to go. Somewhere preferably that teaches you, is kid friendly and you can rent equipment. I think the boys would love it. Anyone suggest a place to go learn?

I plan on bringing a Teknetics G2 or Fisher Gold bug pro to use if I can.

Thanks for you responses! Love to hear any and all suggestions!

http://www.goldprospecting.com/

http://www.jamestowngoldpanning.com/

A couple of tourist-type op's for you, hope this helps! - Terry

Thanks Terry!!! any other body with ideas?

Bart,

You can go to Columbia State Park which is just a couple of miles up Hwy 49 from Sonora. They have panning troughs set up for the kids and someone on hand to teach them.The kids will have a ball and you can tour the preserved mining town of Columbia and gain a lot of information about the 49ers.

Rick

Additional information for the upcoming events on Columbia State Park;

Every Sat & Sun at 11 am

TOWN TOURS - Enjoy an hour-long walking tour of town led by a park staff member or docent. See the actual gold discovery site, learn about the buildings and early merchants of Columbia.

Every 2nd Saturday 1 to 4 pm

GOLD RUSH DAYS - Columbia opens many exhibits and venues that are not normally open to the public. These venues are interpreted by highly knowledgeable staff and docents in period dress.

March 26,Saturday evening

FANDANGO - Come celebrate Columbia’s birthday with music, dance, and gambling games of long ago. Proceeds from this fundraiser benefit Friends of Columbia State Historic Park.

March 27, Sunday afternoon

COLUMBIA BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION - On this day we celebrate the discovery of gold by the Hildreth party (March 27, 1850). Gather in the middle of town for a speech, cake, punch, and reenactments as well as docents in costume throughout town.

April 16, Saturday

32nd Annual OLD MILL RUN - 10K Run, 2-Mile Run/Walk, Kids Mini Mile, Kids Mile. Events begin at 9 a.m., and benefit the Tuolumne County Community Christmas Eve Dinner.

Sunday, April 17,

35th Annual COLUMBIA WINE TASTING - The 35th Annual Columbia Wine Tasting will be held on Sunday, April 17, 2011 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. at Columbia State Historic Park. A benefit for the Columbia College Culinary Arts Program, tickets are $45 per person (2010 price) Over 70 wineries and local food purveyors will be represented in the popular event.

April 24, Sunday late morning to early afternoon

COLUMBIA’S VICTORIAN EASTER CELEBRATION - Dress up in your Victorian Easter finery and march in the Easter Parade. Registration begins at 11:00 am, and the parade is at 12:30. Children will have the opportunity to compete for prizes in Columbia’s popular Easter Egg Hunts. The Small Fry Egg Search at noon is for ages 3 to 5; and after the Easter Parade, the Junior Egg Poachers (ages 6 to 8) will try their luck at 1 pm, and finally the Great Egg Scramblers (ages 9 to 12) at 1:30 pm. Find the golden egg and win a prize!

If you are coming across through Truckee a side trip to Downieville would get you to some areas that allow panning...same if you are travelling hwy 70 through Quincy...join the Gpaa and get their panning kit, instructions and claim book...for a beginner it is a great deal.

you might want to get a basic book on gold panning...you can learn to pan with a wash-tub, dirt and very small lead shot...

Arizona is not a likely place for gold panning in the summertime...

fred

Bart

If you can get up to the Auburn area, east of Sacramento, off of interstate 80, stop in at Pioneer Mining and talk to Frank or Dennis. They can hook you up with some areas to head to. The American river from the hwy 49 bridge to Mineral Bar below the town of Colfax is open to the public. Its call the Auburn Recreation area. Frank or Dennis can give you more info on these areas.

Hope this helps.

Take care and good luck.

Wes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived