VLF and PI

Guest AU prae

Guest AU prae

My experience with a VLF and PI are slight,but it seemed to me the PI was a much more actuate machine in hot rock areas. Could someone explain?

I'm no expert but my understanding is the PI machine sends a pulse of engery into the ground and measures at what rate the pulse dissipates where as the VLF machines looks for a rebound or distortion of the frequency feild. Minelab just has far more R&D money and time into PI technology and their more advanced machines and timings more accurately measure the decay rate of the feild. My thershold will still squawk in hot rock infested areas but there are many options to tune the machine to lessen these variations.

My experience with a VLF and PI are slight,but it seemed to me the PI was a much more actuate machine in hot rock areas. Could someone explain?

I shot video (badly), of Steve Gholson explaining the differences in PI and VLF technology, at the Minelab Technology Training Center grand opening. It is in three parts (Look for Rob!) Here is part one - Terry

I'm no EGGSPERT but heres how I understand the general comparision of P.I. and VLF. Hope it helps you abit.

Your P.I. machines will deploy a pulse signal and then stop this is constantly repeated. Allowing it to pretty much "ignore" most mineralised ground.

The VLF's are constantly emmiting a signal therefore they will actually charge the area of the signal continuously and actually cause a highly mineralised area to be "harder" to read also lessening the depth it is capable of detecting a target, whereas in an area of more neutral ground (less mineralized) you will get better depth recognition of a target signal.

Archived