How to install Doc's new lower rods

Unfortunately Lucky had some issues with getting my new rods to fit in a Nugget Finder coil. This led to some people to wonder if there is something wrong with the rods. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my rods. I spent an enormous amount of time designing these rods and they are spot on.

I think that the Nugget Finder coil ears may have sort of settled in and came together a little. Taking the rod you have out of the ears and allowing them to relax in a warm place will probably allow the ears to adjust properly. If you have a coil like this, that is hard to fit my rod in, you will also have problems fitting a Minelab rod in it, the problem is the coil ears, NOT my rods. Please see the video to show you just how simple installation is, with no soapy water, no nothing.

By the way this was a random BLITZ coil that I picked, it happened to be serial number 0013, so I am keeping it for my own personal use.

Doc

Doc,

Your product is fantastic! My new Upper Shaft coupled with the new Lower Shaft gives me a much larger swing pattern in open areas. This combination also will give a detectorist added reach when hunting under brush and step sided washes. I know this combination has added a few new nuggets to my poke sooner with the larger swing pattern, plus cover more ground in a day's hunt.

Yet again, I wish that my new Lower Shaft's would fit my NuggetFinder ADVANTAGE Coil's!!! I can make a video too and show you that no amount of warm sunlight or KY lube will make them fit. I agree the Advantage Coil ear's are very tight and take a little effort for my stock Minelab lower shaft and my Otto lower shaft to fit into the ear fitting.

LuckyLundy

G'day Doc, just got my set of shafts from Coiltek, you done a great job designing these shafts.

For my money they are not only the cheapest but also the best on the market.

No more having to sand down the standard minelab lower to fit the upper shaft

when you want to fit a joey coil.

Everything is interchangeable with the original Minelab parts.

Yeah, both your and Minelab lower shafts can be a tight fit on some Nuggetfinder

coils but whose fault is that? I have broke one of the ears off an older Nuggetfinder

just trying to fit a standard Minelab shaft.

Recieved my new rods from Rob yesterday...I tried one on my nugget finder advantage coil...would not go, even with lubricant...the ears definitly take a warp...I will wait for a warm day and set the coil in the front of my truck and see if the ears return to their normal postition...the rods fit on my minelab coils without a problem...

BTW; Rob there were rods and washers but not bolts and wing nuts...

fred

Thank you for the kind words.

I had no idea what a major undertaking this would be.

First, I didn't know how to use a CAD program, so I had to learn to use one to design all the parts. I used a digital caliper to measure and remeasure, which can be a little frustrating when you keep getting different readings measuring the same part. All the tolerances are so close. The washers have to be the perfect thickness, the head has to be the perfect width, the recess where the washer goes has to be the perfect depth. But I learned a lot through the process.

Then sending it all off to get molds made for each and every part. I took into consideration all of the short comings I had experienced over the years with upper and lower rods. I felt that a little extra length couldn't hurt, and I also felt that the head of the rod really needed to be totally redesigned to tolerate the punishment that larger coils exert on the head. I thought putting a plastic pin through the head and the rod would insure that I never had a situation where the glue failed and the head fell off again.

Then there was 9 months of sending various parts and prototypes back and forth to make sure everything was perfect.

There were times when I wondered if I would ever see the results. Then we had everything shipped by boat because of the weight and shipping costs involved.

So I am really happy that for a first run it looks like we produced a good product at a reasonable price.

Thanks again for the encouraging words.

Doc

G'day Doc, just got my set of shafts from Coiltek, you done a great job designing these shafts.

For my money they are not only the cheapest but also the best on the market.

No more having to sand down the standard minelab lower to fit the upper shaft

when you want to fit a joey coil.

Everything is interchangeable with the original Minelab parts.

Yeah, both your and Minelab lower shafts can be a tight fit on some Nuggetfinder

coils but whose fault is that? I have broke one of the ears off an older Nuggetfinder

just trying to fit a standard Minelab shaft.

Archived