Nugget Hunting in Papua New Guinea

Never been on this forum before, never prospected for Gold before either. I'm currently working(community development) in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea and have been approached by some friends (local villagers) who have found gold on their land and want to do more in-depth exploration. They were hoping that I could help them find and order a detector to aid them in there prospecting. I have of course have the means and methods to do so, internet connection and paypal account, but I know NOTHING about this trade and am not sure what type of machine these guys need OR would be able to handle (shouldn't be to complicated to operate, and MUST be durable!!) As some of you may know prospecting in PNG is very difficult and dangerous. All land is customary, so you need to be a land owner, and gold buying seems to involve not just gold but automatic weapons! SO that being said I would like to help these guys to become independent in their exploration and earn a safe income, they make about $150/mo at their 'normal'jobs so a machine like this could potentially change their lives. In terms of soil here I know much of the highlands is a thick red clay, in terms of mineralization content - i have no idea. These guys can afford to spend between $1000-$1500 on a detector. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Zach

Wow, what an opportunity. Wouldn't it be fun to go down there with a relative sampling of VLF vs. PI detectors to see what performs best? Although I don't have any advice to offer, as there are far more knowledgeable members here to help you, I envy your position!

Best of luck!

Never been on this forum before, never prospected for Gold before either. I'm currently working(community development) in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea and have been approached by some friends (local villagers) who have found gold on their land and want to do more in-depth exploration. They were hoping that I could help them find and order a detector to aid them in there prospecting. I have of course have the means and methods to do so, internet connection and paypal account, but I know NOTHING about this trade and am not sure what type of machine these guys need OR would be able to handle (shouldn't be to complicated to operate, and MUST be durable!!) As some of you may know prospecting in PNG is very difficult and dangerous. All land is customary, so you need to be a land owner, and gold buying seems to involve not just gold but automatic weapons! SO that being said I would like to help these guys to become independent in their exploration and earn a safe income, they make about $150/mo at their 'normal'jobs so a machine like this could potentially change their lives. In terms of soil here I know much of the highlands is a thick red clay, in terms of mineralization content - i have no idea. These guys can afford to spend between $1000-$1500 on a detector. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Zach

Zach might I suggest you get in contact with George Mayer in Cairns North Queensland as he deals with PNG all the time. Link to NQMinersDen website

Regards

Jonathan Porter

Wow, what an opportunity. Wouldn't it be fun to go down there with a relative sampling of VLF vs. PI detectors to see what performs best? Although I don't have any advice to offer, as there are far more knowledgeable members here to help you, I envy your position!

Best of luck!

Hey thanks, its a very unique country that's for sure. and if you can get past the bush knifes, bows and arrows, people are really very friendly....

Native to other native "how do you like europeans"?

other native...."roasted!"

my apologies to any native sensibilities...it is a beautiful and wild place as i have seen from the safety of my television...

fred

Ya well here they like to steam us in the ground, that is, used to. Cannibalism was outlawed in the 60's I believe. Its not widespread anymore by any means but their is talk of isolated incidents still occurring - but extremely rare, and never foreigners. Highlanders really are incredibly gentle people, unfortunately they tend to get a bad wrap, especially in the Aussie media.

I was in PNG in 2009..went on a mission trip to Goroka and Lapillo.

Enjoyed the people a lot up inn the hills as we did some construction work for New Tribes ... I know one thing you have to stay out of their business..they have some very complicated rules. A made friends with one of our night guards and he sold me a bow he made...I immediatly overdrew it and broke it..... so he went back home and got me another one and scolded me for ruining something that took a lot of doing to make.

But 1 minute later he was laughing at me for drawing it like a girl,every since i broke the first one.lol

it was a fun trip.

The dirt is redder than any I have seen here! By far...more like the Australia pics i see....if I were you I wouldn't give them a VLF machine ... or you may end up as pig supper!

Be sure if you get them one to find someone who can speak Pidgen fluently so they don't get mad at you.

My guess is you will either wind up the hero or the zero

Be very careful how you help because I feel they will hold you responsible if it doesn't pan out.

IMHO

PAUL

A good friend "Garimpo" has told me of his long adventure in PNG. He was even given a wife in one of the long houses and had a very long story about how he got out of that one. Lots of cool pictures of him with natives. He worked there flying for Southern Air. When that stint was done he imported a 5 inch dredge and did his best to get it on gold, but ended up barley getting out of the country with his life, and also got a life threatening infection (MRSA). The gold is there and probably in abundance.... good luck!

But to answere your question... A PI for sure

A good friend "Garimpo" has told me of his long adventure in PNG. He was even given a wife in one of the long houses and had a very long story about how he got out of that one. Lots of cool pictures of him with natives. He worked there flying for Southern Air. When that stint was done he imported a 5 inch dredge and did his best to get it on gold, but ended up barley getting out of the country with his life, and also got a life threatening infection (MRSA). The gold is there and probably in abundance.... good luck!

I agree Steve,

Zach,that country reminded me of my home in the TN hills, except they were just early hillbillies... :lol:

Literally over every hilltop can be another tribal group that speaks a different language. they told us at New Tribe's incountry meeting that there are 800 different language groups in PNG and that they are working on translations of the Bible story for them.....

Point is, over every hilltop is also a different set of rules, so watch your hind-end.! :unsure:

I am a SF medic, but I aint jumping in to PNG for a medivac, unless i gotta a whole team with me. :lol:

I was in PNG in 2009..went on a mission trip to Goroka and Lapillo.

Enjoyed the people a lot up inn the hills as we did some construction work for New Tribes ... I know one thing you have to stay out of their business..they have some very complicated rules. A made friends with one of our night guards and he sold me a bow he made...I immediatly overdrew it and broke it..... so he went back home and got me another one and scolded me for ruining something that took a lot of doing to make.

But 1 minute later he was laughing at me for drawing it like a girl,every since i broke the first one.lol

it was a fun trip.

The dirt is redder than any I have seen here! By far...more like the Australia pics i see....if I were you I wouldn't give them a VLF machine ... or you may end up as pig supper!

Be sure if you get them one to find someone who can speak Pidgen fluently so they don't get mad at you.

My guess is you will either wind up the hero or the zero

Be very careful how you help because I feel they will hold you responsible if it doesn't pan out.

IMHO

PAUL

Ha, funny bow story. I was given mine last year by one of the community's i was working in. They tried to give me another wife to, but I said that the one I had was enough work and i declined the offer:) Here you don't just marry her, you merry the whole tribe! That can be problematic.

My pidgen is fluent so i don't have trouble getting my point across, i've been very clear to these guys that this machine won't guarantee they find anything any more than getting behind the wheel of a land cruiser assumes you'll get from A - B ya gotta know how to drive it first. But i did tell them if they find anything the first Nugget goes to me!!

yep, like i said below, you don't just marry the girl here, you marry the whole tribe - and that can be problematic...

PI for sure, got it...

Unrelated to detecting equipment - does anyone know what price they are paying for gold right now in either Australia or N.America? Wanted to compare with what they are offering here in png.

1520.00 oz 6-24-11 [google KITCO online]

Here is link for weight conversions -- My link

Sounds like you have been there awhile because:

first- you know pidgen and secondly, you knew to ask for the first nugget.... respect is what it takes...

Good luck and keep us posted and watch your back!

paul

i thought it was amazing that if you ran over a pig and killed it you could be sentenced to die, but if you ran over someones wife--it was not that big of a deal.....cultures...hahahha

you can PM me if you dont want to bog up the forum, some people may not enjoy the PNG like we do,,,,hahahaha

1520.00 oz 6-24-11 [google KITCO online]

Here is link for weight conversions -- My link

Sounds like you have been there awhile because:

first- you know pidgen and secondly, you knew to ask for the first nugget.... respect is what it takes...

Good luck and keep us posted and watch your back!

paul

i thought it was amazing that if you ran over a pig and killed it you could be sentenced to die, but if you ran over someones wife--it was not that big of a deal.....cultures...hahahha

you can PM me if you dont want to bog up the forum, some people may not enjoy the PNG like we do,,,,hahahaha

Thanks for the link, I'll keep you posted on the progress - if there is any.

Newbeeper

Ur right about the coffee! !!!

I saw the hill people where I was drying beans on blue tarps..then the wife would put 100 pound bag on her head and walk a couple of miles downhill to the main road to Goroka

I went to a "coffee factory" about 5 people sat around a little table waiting for the coffee to get out of thel roaster ..,.. then it went in those pretty foil bags....gourmet!

MEMORIES, LOL

Archived