Hello everyone!

My name is Scott from Texas.

I placed a couple of items for sale here and was somewhat ridiculed for posting them since I had only 2 posts on this site. Well, the fact is I'm a relic hunter and have been since 1972 (Metrotech 220A). I really don't have much to chime in about since I don't know a thing about nugget hunting. Everything I know about nugget hunting I learned from Jonathan Porter in The SETA Project and The GPX Factor and it was only ancillary to learning how to use my GPX beast. Nor can I speak to technique, equipment, coils, where to hunt, etc.

However, you want to talk relic hunting I can talk to you about technique, equipment, coils, where to hunt, etc.

My current machine is a GPX 5000. I began using it over a year ago at DIV (Diggin in Virginia) XV (Cole's Hill). Relic hunters are in the early stages of realizing how great the Minelab GPX machines are. I see more and more GPX's replacing TDI for those fortunate enough to be able to buy them (I sold all my White's stuff to finance mine). This is the area where nugget hunting and relic hunting overlap.

Virginia soil is, so they swear, the most mineralized in this country. PI machines (GPX, TDI, Infinium) can cut the soil where vlf and other machines of that type just make noise when exposed to the ground. Only a vlf machine that has superior ground cancellation will working Virginia. Currently, I am looking for a back-up machine so I'm doing a lot of reading. I'm listing my Infinium on eBay and was told that using my eTrac, in Virginia, is slightly better then digging random holes.

That brings me to the comments about my coils for sale. I purchased an 18" Coiltek Goldstalker (mono), from Rob, that I was going to use at DIV XVI and XVII and find the deep stuff. DIV XVI was held at Brandy Rock Farm. It was the site of numerous yankee and confederate camps in 1862-1863.

The GPX has incredible depth. Numerous items have been found at depths of 20"+. There is only one problem, camps = junk. These camps have been farmed for the last 140 years. They are covered with all sorts of junk iron. At DIV XVI I spent the first 4 hours digging in excess of 40+ holes of junk. I worked my way back to the truck, changed my coli to a DD and turned on the discriminator and stopped digging iron.

So, that is why I'm selling the Goldstalker 18" mono I bought from Rob and the 15x12" Commander mono, neither of which has been used. Mono's are good where there is little junk but farm land they are useless unless you want to dig till you drop. I'm not sure I got that one from Rob. I have gotten 2 Coiltek Platypus' from him.

Anyway hi, I'll be looking in on the forums and comment or ask questions (as I have to another post about a coil for the 705) when I can help. I don;t just post to see how many posts I can get under my name. Most of the time I will be over at Diggin in Virginia at http://www.mytreasurespot.com/main/list.php?5 (swest47) come visit and see what we chat about.

Y'all take care,

• 2 weeks later...

Archived