Got To Have Some Bad To Go With The Good

Last week we cleaned camp before heading home from the high country, but left out campers in place pending the busy Summer prospects. I left my big 165 quart cooler in the shade with a bunch of soda cans and bottled water inside of it and asked Mike to watch camp while I was home recouping. Mike, left Wednesday mid-day and I arrived late afternoon Thursday for a short couple of days detecting. Mike, texted me on his way out and said, he cleaned up their camp real nice and everything was going great. Not that surprised arriving back to my camp, my cooler had been raided by Yogi or BooBoo. Well I cleaned up the mess (cooler was fine, he figured out how to open it) and thought I'd run over to Mike's camp...well it looked like he didn't clean it!

9Jul11CampMess.jpg

Here's his track, Minelab Battery for size...not a real big bear

9Jul11BearTrack.jpg

Well there has to be some good to a bad start to my little hunt! I've been stuck loving to swing the GoldBug 2 this Summer. It's a blast and them GB2 dinks fill in the spaces between the bigger Minelab nuggets in your poke!!! I pulled a nice 1.3 dwt'er out with the GB2 and did squeeze in a little time this morning with my Minelab for 5 nuggets. The rest came from the GB2, IMHO you have to have both these detectors...one in each arm!!! Until our next hunt.

Weight in Grams

9Jul11GoldScale.jpg

I can't take credit for digging this old shoe, but have you ever seen a little horse shoe on the heel of and old mining shoe?

9Jul11OldShoeSole.jpg

LuckyLundy

Bad Boo Boo, Bad! Yeah that's not my idea of a clean camp. Good thing I didn't leave anything out for him to really enjoy.

You found my Boot I dug up too. I don't usually find them that intact but in the desert I've found a few of those small horse shoe things. Must of been good for tap dancing miners.

Good work on the gold! Those Gold bug pockets are fun!

Mike

Good work on the gold with the BUG--sure a handy machine to have around--think

I will have to take mine out on a date once the temperatures come back down--nice

looking gold just seeing it is an incintive to move some rocks an dirt.

Mike,

Where I picked up that boot sole, I knew I was following someones dig holes...I figured you or Montana, cause I wasn't finding any gold there! You know them little horse shoes, had to be slippery as heck on them cobbles. I guess it was a change in pace for the blacksmith from making square nails to little horse shoes...lol

NvDirtDigger,

I'm glad the bear didn't figure out how to open my Corona...we might have to hammer in a bunch of big square nails in our little bat, to show we mean business.

Hammer,

It's plenty hot and Summer in NorCal just got here...I'm already looking forward to cooler days! I drove past the first wildfire of the year in Smartsville, CA (Yuba County) on my way home. You have to move a few rocks in this hobby, it helps the poke out but not the backbone!!!

LuckyLundy

Great story..... greater on the gold find! I am heading out this morning to meet Yogi myself. Hope to see you out there next week. That is boot number 3 from there. It is crazy that those early miners could lose something as important as their boots, maybe Yogi's Great Great Grandpaw had something to do with them???

I agree about the GB and ML combo... perfect pair!

nice gold Lucky , and those bears sure are pests sometimes. I have never seen anything like youre horseshoe shoe before mabe it was an oldschool home made polio shoe or something , Hope all is well

Fred,

I've been bring'n my little mutt with me for a camp dog. I know he chased a bear off one day while I was out hunting and figured the bear came back after we left camp for home...they hate any dog, since they get hunted in season with barking hounds in the Sierra's.

Nice cool rest of the week, so I'm heading up to hunt with Steve for a few days...he has his drywasher!!!

Rick

Archived