First Outing with the X-Terra 705

I picked up a very slightly used X-Terra 705 Gold to ease my way into what I hope to be an enjoyable new hobby for me. Today I went out for the first time to a local park in Tucson play and try to become familiar with the detector. I set up the detector and started in all metal mode to become familiar with the readings and sounds all the targets make. I found a boatload of pull tabs and bottle caps, but that was my intent to start. As the day progressed I began to use the detector's various discrimination modes. I ended up the day finding a boatload of trash, but found my first item of value as well - a 1966 penny. Soon I will venture out to do sme nugget shooting, but I need to join a couple of clubs and get on some decent claims.

Honestly, my first inclination after doing a bunch of reading and viewing hundreds of YouTube videos was to jump in with both feet and get a GXP 5000 and go for it, but I instead opted for the dual purpose X-Terra 705 to start. I thought it would give me a starting point and ultimately a second detector for my wife to use as a "justification" to invest in the GPX 5000. Maybe, just maybe, she'll buy that. Moreso, though, I do really hope this is a hobby she comes to want to pursue with me. We'll see. Meanwhile, I'm thinking I need to find that first nugget and I'm guessing that will get her attention.

My father bought the 705 gold pack about 4 months ago and we are still learning how to use it. It has been a good little machine to work with. My first week out found a small dink with it up here in Montana. I also have been coin hunting with it and found at least 25.00 worth of coins, but I am still learning the machine. Looking forward to spring for sure.

Brent

I picked up a very slightly used X-Terra 705 Gold to ease my way into what I hope to be an enjoyable new hobby for me. Today I went out for the first time to a local park in Tucson play and try to become familiar with the detector. I set up the detector and started in all metal mode to become familiar with the readings and sounds all the targets make. I found a boatload of pull tabs and bottle caps, but that was my intent to start. As the day progressed I began to use the detector's various discrimination modes. I ended up the day finding a boatload of trash, but found my first item of value as well - a 1966 penny. Soon I will venture out to do sme nugget shooting, but I need to join a couple of clubs and get on some decent claims.

Honestly, my first inclination after doing a bunch of reading and viewing hundreds of YouTube videos was to jump in with both feet and get a GXP 5000 and go for it, but I instead opted for the dual purpose X-Terra 705 to start. I thought it would give me a starting point and ultimately a second detector for my wife to use as a "justification" to invest in the GPX 5000. Maybe, just maybe, she'll buy that. Moreso, though, I do really hope this is a hobby she comes to want to pursue with me. We'll see. Meanwhile, I'm thinking I need to find that first nugget and I'm guessing that will get her attention.

Brad:

Good going man!

It feels good to dig something up like that huh.

Just keep at it....DONT give up or get discoraged.

I dont know much about the X-Terra but I now sleep with my GPX 5000 :) I love the dern thing.

Keep practicing...each time you will learn a little more.

You should also try hitting under bleachers and sand vollyball courts.

Look for where old houses used to be in your area. They are usually empty lots with a row of trees or odd trees in a group.

You can go back in time with Google earth and see how things looked years ago. Its one of the icons up top.

Good luck and keep at it.

Tom

Best of luck to you! i started with the same gameplan...bought a GMT in hopes to prove to the old lady theres something to this crazy hobby. After about 20 trips to skunk city i strayed from the gameplan and bought a Gpx4500 even though i hadnt found anything. My very next trip i found a nice nugget 3 inches down that a radio shack detector probably would have found. Point is, its out there.. be patient and have confidence. Youve picked a great machine, plugged into a very knowledgable forum community, now you just have to do the homework and get that coil over some good ground. youll run over one before long. Cant wait to see pics! happy hunting

Landon

NoobShooter, you've got a dynamite machine!! Way to go!

I've tried detecting parks in Tucson when I go visit my brother and mother over there, but haven't had real good luck at them. A few cents to maybe half a dollar in change at the playgrounds. I hope you do better, but don't get discouraged.

I also joined the Desert Gold Diggers club out of Tucson. They've got quite a few claims around Tucson, including several down in Greaterville District. Dues are minimal ($35/year or so), the one guy I've met from there was super (he's on this forum.....you know who you are! LOL PS How's that trailer coming along?), the ex-president I met in El Paso at a GPAA show and was the one who got me started with DGD. They've got a website, just do a google for it.

Welcome to the wild world of metal detecting! Good luck to you.

Kajun

Archived