Beach hunting with the GPX5000

I am taking my lady to the beach tomorrow so she can swing her 705. I was thinking of taking my 5000 as well, just so I have something to do other than stare at all the hot women...lol. Don't worry, my lady stares with me, too. So what type of settings should I use, and what kind of coil, also? I have never been interested in beach hunting so I have absolutely no clue where to start. The coils I have are the 11" DD, 11" Mono, 17" NF Advantage, 17" Mono Wallaby, Platypus DD, and the 8x6 NF Mono!

Also, are there any special concerns I should have when it comes to beach hunting with this machine...for example, the sea air getting inside? Thank you.

Hi Chris

I use my 5k at the beach all the time, i run the 11"DD in cancel mode and basically de tune it way down to stop excesive depths.

so what i do is just do a factory re set then drop the gain down to 4 and stab down to 5, i also run the discrim flat out to

knock out all of the junk, you can swing pretty fast as all targets will stand out really good and with those settings you wont

miss any gold rings,chains etc..

i also run in tracking/med.

Good luck and i hope both your wife and you have fun.

Pete B)

I'm also using mine at the beach, but I use the platypus DD religiously. I'm a couple of notches down on the iron reject though and I do not run in cancel. The last Pt ring I pulled out was at 50-60 cm and cancel will not punch that deep. If I'm immersing the coil, I'm running in salt gold timings.

BTW don't get the control box wet !!!

Living in Hawaii thats all I do with my 5K and platypus DD with same settings as Argonaute. Picked up a platinum pendant at 19 inches. I always wipe the control box down with a damp cloth and wash the coil and shaft with the hose then dry. I get a kick out of beach hunting but thats all we have. It gives me a chance to learn the machine before comming to the states to look for nuggets.

Thanks for the replies, gentleman. I decided to use only the 705 at the beach, and then stopped at another location to use the 5000. No luck again with the 5k, but we found $0.77 at Huntington Beach. I actually enjoyed the hunt on the beach today. It was my first time doing a beach hunt and I was amazed at how relaxed I was. I could still hear the sound of the waves rolling onto shore while wearing my headphones, yet the signals were loud enough for me to hear as well. It was really muggy down there today, too, so I am kind of glad that I didn't pull the 5k out. My clothes were damp by the time I was done just from the moisture in the air. Looking forward to the next time.

Whats a beach? Is it associated with water or something? :)

I think they had one of them at Big Surf in the 70s.

Guess I could go to lake Havesu after spring break

Good luck to all the beach hunters.

Tom H.

That's a good idea, Tom. I have decided to dump my rarely used GB Pro and pick up a Excalibur II in its place. I really enjoyed the day and am looking forward to spending a lot more time on the shores, but this time with a machine that I don't have to worry about getting wet. ;)