Show Low Gold Nuggets

I met a guy at a car lot the other day and we started talking about metal detectors and gold prospecting. He told me there was a lot of gold up in the Show Low (Arizona) area. I told him there was no gold in Navajo County. He went to his car and came back with a small book, about the size of a TV Guide. It was old and the pages were dog eared. He turned to one of the marked pages and showed me – it said they were finding gold nuggets using metal detectors in the Show Low area. I just couldn’t believe this as everything I had read said there was no gold in Navajo County. So he turned to another marked page – a lady there (in/near Show Low) had found so much gold she wasn’t selling it any longer. She is now just putting the nuggets she finds in shot glasses and stacking them on her nick-nack shelf. There were pictures of these small glasses filled with nuggets. I was so amazed I forgot to get the title of the book or ask his name.

I went to the map store in Phoenix yesterday to buy a copy of the book and nobody there knew what I was talking about. They told me as far as they knew there was no gold in Navajo County (except for the power gold in the clays in the Painted Desert). Then I searched on the internet for the book or at least a reference to gold nuggets in Navajo County and ran into another dead end.

Does anybody know about any gold nugget finds in the Show Low area (+/- 30 miles I expect) using a metal detector?

I considered moving there from Montana, then saw their winter is similar (High today 23, Low 11 )

Here's some info:

Superstition Mountain Treasure Hunters

White Mountain Chapter

Show Low, Az.

Ph: 1-928-521-1104

E-Mail: lpwright@frontiernet.net

Meets 1st Thursday monthly at 7:00 PM

http://www.smth-gold.com/index.html

GPAA Chapter info

White Mountain

Show Low, Arizona

Gold Mining in the Desert

Email: wmcslaz@hotmail.com

Phone: 928-242-2310

I considered moving there from Montana, then saw their winter is similar (High today 23, Low 11 )

Here's some info:

Superstition Mountain Treasure Hunters

White Mountain Chapter

Show Low, Az.

Ph: 1-928-521-1104

E-Mail: lpwright@frontiernet.net

Meets 1st Thursday monthly at 7:00 PM

http://www.smth-gold.com/index.html

GPAA Chapter info

White Mountain

Show Low, Arizona

Gold Mining in the Desert

Email: wmcslaz@hotmail.com

Phone: 928-242-2310

Paul Clark is in Stanton,Az. Lives in Congress,Az. For what it is worth.. Doug

Maybe it's another one of those Aussie nugget scams. Hey Rog, did that guy address you as................ mate? LOL

You would have thought the Crocodile Dundee hat & Kangaroo skin underpants would have given

the show away :lol::lol:

Maybe the gold was found at the "Lost Aussie Goldmine" :D

But as Rob said "Gold is where you find it" never a truer word spoken Rob..

Crazy Pete B)

I think it was August 2010, when two fellow pass away in their mineshaft about 15 miles NE of Show Low. I think they were looking for Ameythist though? I can't find any mention of a book, maybe a AZ mine Bullentin?

More Au to you, Robert

While I can't find the fellow from what I remember of the book it was quite old, maybe 1990s. All of the pictures were very old scenes like around the 1920s. But I did find someone in the Show Low area who seems to think the gold referred in in the book came from the Lost Adams mine (this is thought to be in New Mexico). Here is what she relayed to me.

"Having said that, I will now confess that one of the largest placer gold

deposits in the West is in the Show Low area - but it is on the Apache

reservation. Even the Apaches can't bring it out. Those that try seem to

vanish and no one sees them again. Nuggets, nice large nuggets, were

brought out by whites at times but to no good. One group, one of the two

different Lost Adams mines, were all but one killed by the Apaches. I know

of only one person who accidently found a nugget on the reservation while

fishing and snuck it out even though he was being watched. I have been

collecting local stories about the Apache placer gold for a long time and I

have located the source from the air. I will not even think of going in

there the way things are now. Those that I know of who have gone in

recently have never come out. I believe it is a guarded area with modern

sensors located strategically to warn the Apaches if anyone is in that area.

I do have reason to believe that the Apaches may have a hard rock gold mine,

but the surface gold is from the gods and is not to be touched according to

their beliefs."

I am going to look her up when I go to Show Low next month. My wife's comments to this was "sounds like Show Low has its own Bermuta Triangle".

I found a very interesting reference to the Lost Adams where the author seems to have found it: http://www.lostadams.com/ Does anyone know of any updates to his post? He is very careful not to divulge any details about the actual location (is it in Arizona or New Mexico).

This is getting even more interesting.

• 7 years later...
  • Admin

Hey Guys,

This thread was started back in 2011, interesting that someone read it and brought it back to life.  I have only been to Show Low a few times for work purposes.  I was able to walk for several hours in the flat searching for meteorites with no luck.  

Hopefully someone is finding the gold in or around Show Low!