Need some feedback please...

I'm going to go ahead and keep my Rokon. As previously stated my major stumbling blocks were getting it back and forth to my prospecting areas, as it's really too far to ride it, and too rough of terrain to constantly haul it in and out with a 4WD pickup. I could probably carry it in my Rhino, but then that basically leaves me with no room for other supplies, plus it would take two guys to lift it in and out. My only other alternative is to have a buddy help me get it out to my prospecting area, then leave it out there covered, under camouflage, and chained to a tree.

Here's my question... let's say a person was out in the middle of nowhere and were to accidentally find it, do you think they would try to steal it or vandalize it?

The problem is that you just never know....I wouldn't want to leave it out there unless I was fine that it may be gone the next time I went out there. I wouldn't chance it.

I guess it depends on how deep yer pockets are ???
And if insurance would cover something like that senerio if you have ins.
The average guy that couldn't afford to replace it wouldn't even consider putting it in a position like that of unsupervised storage and quite possible theft.
Thats my humble opinion anyway.

Okay... let me ask you guys this question.

I know many of you may drive out to the boonies and leave their vehicles unattended while out detecting or prospecting... right?

So how many here have ever had their vehicles stolen or vandalized while out prospecting?

• Admin

Hey AZBlackbird,

I personally haven't had any problems all the years I have camped in the hills here in Arizona. That being said, last year my good friend had his vehicle broke into and they stole a bunch of his stuff. I will let him tell more, but it does happen. I think for the most part, people respect others property, but there is always that 1-2% that will make a stupid attempt to break into a vehicle hoping you're not watching them.

I leave my quad parked in spots the entire day, but always take the key and leave it to where I can ID if it was messed with. I also try to park it in spots where the chances of being spotted are slim.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

I personally haven't had any problems all the years I have camped in the hills here in Arizona.

Thank you all for the input so far... I agree with you Rob. I've been camping and riding the hills here in AZ for almost 20 years now and have never had a problem. For one thing, I avoid the "squid" areas, as that's where the majority of the problems occur. I've found that most generally thieves are lazy and will usually go after the easy stuff. As I stated previously, my prospecting areas are about as remote as you can get. Fact is... if I would ever happen to see somebody even close to where I prospect, chances are somebody booted them out of an airplane, or they're an experienced dirt biker or horseman like myself. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that many here are not avid single track dirt bike riders or ride horses. Many of the trails (close to my prospecting areas) I ride are old mining pack trails and are only known to a select few in the dirt bike community. Sure you can see some of them on Google earth, but once you get out there and see them first hand, reality hits, and if you're not an experienced rider, most wouldn't even dream of taking a chance on riding them.

Just an FYI for those who have commented... I would probably be hiding my Rokon off one of those old single track pack trails a 1/4 mile back or so, so the chances of somebody finding it (even from the air) would be very remote, unless of course they were like me and could first even ride the trail to get to it, then they'd have to get off their bike and take a nice hike to even be close to finding it, or if they were on horseback (small chance). So bottom line... I think I would be pretty safe in wrapping the bike up and camouflaging it really good, and leaving it. I can get my Rhino in somewhat close, then take a short hike on the single track to retrieve it and go about my merry way of prospecting.

Sound like a plan?

azblackbird

First sell the Rokon. then buy a cheap dirt bike. camo it if your worried about loosing it. AzNuggetBob

I've got dirt bikes. They won't haul or pull the load of what the Rokon can. Plan is to stash the Rokon and other equipment in my prospecting area, then either commute back and forth by Rhino or dirt bike. Rhino takes about 2 hours to get to the area from where I stage... riding the dirt bike, I can make it in less than 45 minutes.

That Rokon is so sweet! :)

Thanks for the comment... back in the day miners used mules to haul their prospecting gear out and about. I guess I look at this bike as my 20th century mule. ;)

Problem is... it ain't that much faster than a good mule, so it's kind of a pain in the butt to ride any long distances. It's great (just like a mule is) if you only need to go a couple miles with a full load in the roughest and knarliest terrain you can ever imagine... but for commuting back and forth to a prospecting area... there are better alternatives.