Garrett Infinium Coils on Garrett ATX

Hi,

I have a Garrett ATX and have done some nugget detecting with it. See Gold Nugget Detecting with the Garrett ATX. However, the weight and the stock coil had me wishing for options. I wanted a smaller coil with no openings to hang up that could get into tighter locations. As a past Infinium owner the 10" x 5" DD coil immediately came to mind. See Detecting with the Garrett Infinium in Hawaii and the first picture will tell you what was going through my mind as I hunted gold nuggets.

So I have some Garrett Infinium coils I am trying on the ATX. The full story and photos are at my new Garrett ATX Accessory page. I will be updating it as I experiment more with the concept. An obvious alternative would be to make an adapter to mate a standard lower rod assembly to the ATX (it has already been done for the Recon) but I wanted to go hip mount for the least weight on my arm possible.

I want to note here I am advocating nothing and recommending nothing. This is just something I am doing that may answer some questions for some people. If nothing else it will save somebody else making a duplicate effort or wasting the time and money on something that may or may not work out.

If you are as crazy as I am I am sure Rob can get you the coils. There are other accessory items on my page you may want to get from him also so check it out.

post-316-0-76830000-1387344589_thumb.jpg

Steve

I too have the Infinium LS but I don't think I'd want to go nugget hunting with the set up you have in the picture posted. I myself wish Garrett would have made the ATX with the shaft under the box.

This would have cut the cost down on coils. If they wanted to protect the cable it could be run inside the shaft but come out for another one.

I wonder if Garrett talk with any one that would be in the field swinging the ATX? Nugget hunters always want to change from one coil to another as they feel the need. I do like it being waterproof with the waterproof speaker and not have to worry about the rain.

I'd say for now if I get the ATX I'll just get it with the stock coil and hope I can live with it for a while.

Chuck

PS A stand to keep it off the ground would help. It may be best to pass this one up and wait until the bugs have been worked out. I'm not saying the electronics has a bug but for me the outside of the box has. A better working shaft would be a start in the right direction.