A day in the hills

Hey all:
Welp, got out today to LSD.

Met up with a friend thats been helping me a lot and went to a old mine that he had gotten gold out of in the past from the tailings pile.

Beeped the whole pile with the Minelab and didnt get a speck. He had scattered it out in the past so it wasnt very deep. Pretty cool we were able to find it again after 15 plus years!
After that we're looking at some other tailings piles in another area and up pulls Adam!

Cool!
We went to another spot and detected for the rest of the day.

I get this faint signal on a bench and start digging...and digging...and digging...Get down to the caliche and im having trouble pinpointing it. Its loud but caliche is hard and I dont want to do unessary chipping. I call adam over and he pinpoints it for me with the GB2. Im chipping away at the caliche and its getting louder. Getting excited after digging down 5 inches in that cement. We're all thinking...its got to be a nug if its down in there. Finally get it out and it is the most beautiful piece of tin ever uncovered. BLAH!!!..........I threw the minelab as far as I could and hit Adam with my pick then laid down and cried.....ok..not really.....Unfortunatly...we all got skunked this time.

I pulled 4 buckets of dirt from various areas and got......wait for it.....hold on....ONE FLAKE

YEEHAA!!!

Saw a nice Mule deer buck but he was too far off to take pics of.

It was a great day out. Weather was awsome, ground was moist but not sloppy, just a good time out with friends.

Theres always next time :)

Tom H.

Hi Tom. Sounds like ya'll had a great time. How's your pop doing hav'nt seen anything from him in awhile. I got my vacation scheduled for Oct. I will probably fly out on the 7th and stay thru the 14th. Hopegully there will be another outing at GB while I'm there. Hope to see yall then. Maybe we can get some Hours on the detectors and find some yellow stuff instead of only tin and lead.

Bill

Hey Tom I had a great time out there looking up some old hunts. that hard rock tailing pile has produced some nice speci chunks in the past that the old timers threw out but apparently when I spread it out years ago with the mini-dozer there just wasn't room left for any sizable speci chunks to hide. I was also suprised to find out that mine was no longer claimed.

On that caliche hole I was disappointed too I thought you had a huge nugget or meteorite. by the time you got down to it, it was loud and smooth seemed to be virgin ground and you were right in line with where I had found nuggets there in the past. I was thinking trophy nugg! too. I have seen 4 ounce nuggs come out of that area. also great to finally meet Adam in person too. That place is tough on Gold bugs but your Minelab 5000 seemed to handle it very well especially running that mono. The old timers worked that gulch hard and Adam may be correct, is that the old woman placer????

AzNuggetBob

Hi Tom. Sounds like ya'll had a great time. How's your pop doing hav'nt seen anything from him in awhile. I got my vacation scheduled for Oct. I will probably fly out on the 7th and stay thru the 14th. Hopegully there will be another outing at GB while I'm there. Hope to see yall then. Maybe we can get some Hours on the detectors and find some yellow stuff instead of only tin and lead.

Bill

Bill:

We will try and plan a trip up there around that time.

May try to look for areas that are not claimed in the vicinity up north of RH and try them out.

RH is just so pounded. But, there is still gold there :)

Tom H.

Nice to run into you guys ! Tom, Sorry I broke your leaf spring and scoop.... :huh: Probably the reason I didn't find any gold either....bad luck ! :wacko:

You too Adam :)

Dont sweat the scoop and the spring was probably ready to snap anyway. Just that extra 400 lbs on the hitch must have done it :P

Taker easy and look foward to another hunt with ya.

Tom H.