Golden nugget stolen from Flandrau Planetarium

I can't believe these nuggets on public display are not better secured. Especially with all the high profile thefts in recent years... such a bummer.

My county courthouse had the largest gold display in the lower 48. Half of it was stolen.

They were caught, but no gold or money was recovered. Insurance company paid the claim.

County refuses to display the remaining gold, who knows if it still exists.

There is talk among some of the department heads of using the insurance money to pay for un-necessary and wasteful building remodels.

Hmm...

• Admin

Hello,

I read and heard about the story. Sad that someone has to steal a part of history and something that people enjoy to see in a museum. That being said, where do they come up with a 7 ounce solid gold nugget valued at $30,000? I have a friend that is trying to sell a solid 21 ouncer from Arizona for $30,000.

It's always funny how people think (not saying they cant) get these crazy premium prices for gold. If someone can get $30K for a 7 ouncer that is great, but I can buy all the solid 7 ounces I could afford for $10-12K at the most. I'm sure it's make a great headline and story for the most part.

Just my thoughts.

Hello,

I read and heard about the story. Sad that someone has to steal a part of history and something that people enjoy to see in a museum. That being said, where do they come up with a 7 ounce solid gold nugget valued at $30,000? I have a friend that is trying to sell a solid 21 ouncer from Arizona for $30,000.

It's always funny how people think (not saying they cant) get these crazy premium prices for gold. If someone can get $30K for a 7 ouncer that is great, but I can buy all the solid 7 ounces I could afford for $10-12K at the most. I'm sure it's make a great headline and story for the most part.

Just my thoughts.

Premiums are a whole different ballgame now compared to back when gold was a couple hundred bucks an oz. There are a lot of big nuggets out there looking for homes, but the sellers want 2x ~ 3x spot of them... finding buyers that want to pay 3x spot, that's the problem. :glare:

I wouldn't be surprised if that figure is based on what it was insured for. Or just a random number that someone said, and the reporter printed it...

Here's the Siskyou County Gold collection that was partially stolen ... Pictures taken a few years before the robbery ... Supposedly, the gold in the original display was only part of the real collection ... Also, rumor was that the local bank had a collection even bigger and better than the
County ... A number of the older businesses in the county also had big gold collections because miners bought stuff with gold back in the day ... The town of Yreka was known as the "Richest Square Mile on Earth!"....Cheers, Unc