Some California GPZ gold

Did some detecting yesterday with the GPZ in an old Hydraulic pit in California. Dug a lot of bullets and square nails, but also got this guy, a nice 2.5 gram nugget.

It was surprisingly deep, around 9 inches. The ground in the pit was very quiet.

Many folks will tell you these pits are all hunted out, having been worked from the first days of VLFs, but there are still deep targets and old lead sitting around, so no, these huge pits are not all hunted out - They still even have gold!

post-9-0-89683600-1434223760_thumb.jpg

Chris:
Really nice nug! :)
Agree with you as to what you say about being hunted out.

Technology changes things :) along with weather and such....

GL to ya!
Tom H.

Rob The 75 ounce nugget found in California last year was taken from around the edges of a pit similar to the one I was working, and my nugget (although far, far smaller) also came from around the edges. So that 75 ouncer is plenty evidence that yes, a few lunker lumps are still lurking in these pits, though the majority of the nuggets taken in these old pits are small, less than a gram, often a lot less than a gram - like a grain or two.

• Admin

Hey Chris,

Pretty much confirms the question on "why there is so much smaller gold." This is always the question when a new detector comes out, why is so much smaller, deeper gold being found.

I think overall, the rarity of large gold is the answer. I have kept some records over the years here in Arizona and for about every 1/4 ounce I find, I will find several hundred smaller gold nuggets from a few grains several Grams.

Congrats to the owner of the 75 ouncer. Hopefully by searching the outer regions of the pits will allow you to find a golden lump!