Update on Minelab X-Terra 70

• Admin

Hello All,

I just wanted to give you all a brief update on the new Minelab X-Terra 70 that just got released a while back. Well I must say I'm more impressed than ever, especially after what my hunting partner found out in the Bradshaw's this weekend. I was skeptical about the "Nuggethunting" abilities (Prospecting Mode) of the new unit. However, my partner Glenn this weekend found a dinky-ass nugget with it this weekend just experimenting. Now before I jump the gun, he found the target, but couldn't get a good pinpoint on it cause of the coil design. He new it was a small target, but had trouble pinpointing since the X-Terra's coil isn't hot on the outside edge. He came back with the Minelab GP3000 and Coiltek Joey and low and behold it was a 2-3 grain nugget in a small crack! :o Just goes to show it will find small gold, which I was not real certain about.

This weekend Leaverite and I played around with it and the discrimination is awesome, much better than the White's MXT in my opinion. I could actually cancel out targets completely, which is a feature of the Minelab Explorer II. Now I still think the Minelab Explorer II is the best coil/relic machine and it's one of my hottest selling units to archeologist now (Thanks You Know Who!). ;)

However, from what I'm seeing the new X-Terra 70 had a lot of similar features like the Explorer II and then some good gold prospecting abilities. More testing needs to be done, but I'm quite impressed to say the least. The depth is very impressive.

P.S. I have plenty X-Terra 70's in stock and you will also get a FREE 3kHz Searhcoil with the purchase of one (limited time only).

Take care,

Rob Allison

Guest Mike C...

WTG-Glen ;) -I'm still waiting on the DD's to be released :huh: -I'm glad your seeing the light now Rob B) -it is a kickass machine :) -Mike C... B)PS-I thought the 3.5khz coils were on backorder :blink:

• Admin

Hello Mike,

Is the DD going to be round or elliptical? I can't seem to get the answer from Minelab USA. Wish they would make a true mono round or elliptical for it, which would make a great prospecting searchcoil.

Are you hunting mostly in "Prospecting Mode" with the Iron Id cranked up to elliminate more trash, or do you hunt in "Prospecting Mode" and then toggle over to "Coin/Relic" mode for potential trash targets?

Wish Coiltek would make a 15-inch Wot for it. :mellow:

P.S. About a month ago I ran into a guy with an X-Terra 30 along the Black Canyon area. I tossed down a small nugget and with the sensitivity all the may to max it wouldn't hear it. However, the X-Terra 70 had no problems hearing that small nugget.

Searchcoils are on backorder and will be shipped to the dealers when they arrive. Did you get one for FREE? :o

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Guest Mike C...

Hi Rob-rumer is 5X10 DD elliptical-I sure hope the rumer is correct :huh: -that would be a perfect prospecting coil and should help out alot ;) I run it in prospecting mode with the Iron mask cranked up-I have switch over to the factory presets(coin/relic) and there not good for prospecting as you will loose the small gold-small gold is to close to the iron range in the disc mode and it gets knocked out even with all the notch segments set to except :o -now I have switched from prospecting to all metal and it seems to smooth it out a little more on hot ground ;) To start with- the X30 has a factory fixed ground balance(not good for nug beepin) and the X30 only operates at one frequency (7.5khz)-The X30 was only intended as a turn on and go coin beeper which from what I've read about it does it very well- I assume you were using the 18.75khz coil with the X70 and theres the differance-hits way better on the low end targets than the 7.5khz coil-the 18.75 coil is all I use even for coin and gold beepin B) -plus the X70 has the prospecting mode which was specially designed for prospecting-I have'nt tried the 3.5khz coil yet-it should be hotter on deep silver B) -Free coil :mellow:-Mike C... ;)

• Admin

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the information on the X-Terra's. I haven't been out as much as I would like the X-Terra 70. However, I do know of an old site I found a few years back that is way off the beaten path that might be great for coin/relic beeping. There was also a few old buildings this weekend I discovered up a small drainage and I should have poked around there with the unit.

I still can't get a solid answer out of Minelab about what coil will be released next on the X-Terra 70. I know their plans are at least three searchcoils, maybe more if the machine really sells well.

As for the FREE coil I was talking about, some dealers (including me) are tossing the 3kHz Searhcoil in for FREE with the purchase of a new X-Terra 70. ;)

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Gold Guru,

I was very skeptical of the machine at first and had very little time with it. However, the more I use it the more I'm impressed with it. Now its not a GP3500 by any means, but I think it's a great multi-purpose detector with a great discriminator.

I'm going to take it out this weekend for at least a day and spend the entire day coin/relic hunting. Never really thought I could get into coin/relic, but I think it's a good change of pace for a bit. After finding so many nuggets you get burned out! :rolleyes:

I'm hoping they come out with a DD Elliptical, which would be great for gold prospecting. The coil on the X-Terra is a better coin/relic coil than nuggethunting in my opinion.

I also like the Tone ID, where different targets have different tones. Similar to the Explorer II, but the Explorer II has a lot more tones than the X-Terra.

P.S. Glenn found a 2-3 grain nugget with the new X-Terra 70 this weekend, so it's better than I expected hearing that! His new coil 3 kHz coil just came in today, so maybe he will get some time on that coil and give us a report.

Take care,

Rob Allison