Spring Running Late at Moore Creek

Hi,

Spring is running late in Alaska. I was hoping to head for Moore Creek this weekend, but there still is snow on the airstrip. Now looking at leaving the 25th. By Memorial Day there will still be snow patches. But the time you first weekers arrive, snow should have just left the ground.

The good news is this means very little new growth. The trees will be barely leafed out. This is in my mind the ideal time to be at Moore Creek. Rob and Glenn will be amazed at how much more open the terrain will seem. Grassy areas that were neck deep will be flat on the ground.

You will be able to see old mining features and tailing rows that were invisible before. Bears will be much less an issue as you can see so much better. And them you, which is good. And best of all, if it stays cool the bugs will be much less an issue.

The only real downside is that water levels will be high as the snow will still be melting off the high country. And anyone wanting to dig a hole more than a couple feet deep may run into frozen ground in north facing areas. Do make sure you have a good sleeping bag suitable for temps as low as the mid-30's. Daytime temps should be 60's-70' but could see some 50's. The dining hall will have a woodstove in it this year so there will be a warm place for all to hang out at in the evening and early morning.

This all could change abruptly and rapidly at any moment. The extremely long daylight hours we are already having means that if it does warm up, stuff can warm up real fast. Keep an eye on the temps at http://www.wunderground.com/US/AK/McGrath/PATL.html

Steve Herschbach

http://www.moorecreek.com

Yeehaw! Less bugs is very good! Steve, how much higher will the water be? Last Summer, we used several Beaver dams for crossings, will that still be possible? Last Summer, the water was cold and I guess it will be even cold this year. Glad I got me a warmer sleeping bag... Thanks for the heads up! See you in a couple!

Hi Gaine,

The water is never deeper than the tops of the beaver dams. But many ponds were below that level last summer as you were there later and it was very dry. Moore Creek itself will be very much larger than you saw last summer. So trying to get across the creek to tailings on the far side will be a real challenge. There are only the fewer number downstream that are across the creek, but I think Rob and Glenn were on them last summer.

Steve Herschbach

Thanks Steve for the update. I'd guess it will be a bit marshy in spots. Extra boots are probably also a good idea as one could use one pair while the others are drying.

Here winter is lingering as well - this is how the higher gold country in the Sierras looked last weekend - other than the evergreens, probably somewhat similar. It was marshy and muddy in some places, other areas were fine and dry enough.

Chris

post-9-1148011272_thumb.jpg

You guys should get you a pair of neoprene chest waders, i use them alot, in the winter to hunt in, you have to get you a set of extra big tennis shoes, but in the cooled days you will keep nice and warm, and you can cross the creeks without any problems. I got mine for about $50.00 and are brown on one side, and cammo on the other. Best thing for winter hunting I have found. Grubstake