Sitting Duck

Up by 4:30,…out the door by 5:15,…swing’n by 5:30,….nugget by 6:30,…head home to wake wife up and have breakfast,……………………Corona’s and mini-chimi’s for lunch [awaiting matinee (Pirates of the Caribbean)…â€AARRRâ€,….to start]….Pouring-down-rain after movie, >>>>>â€EXCELLENT ! ! !†Such began my day this last Saturday. I left the house early in hopes of beating the heat and doing the “trash-thing†on the Lynx. I was working a nice stretch of exposed-decomposed-granite and had dug 8-10 trash targets fairly close to each other. All this ?@#%? was starting to give me a headache :angry: . I found myself wanting to slack-off and discriminate signals, weeding-out those-most-obnoxious, and just dig the mellower ones. But Hell, I hadn’t heard any mellow ones! ! And even at this time of the morning I was starting to feel the on-coming heat, which in turn prodded me on to work faster and cover more ground. After hop-skipping a couple of real bad spots I finally got some fairly quiet ground (bedrock) to swing over, thank God, as my Excedrin bottle was almost empty. I was just getting used to this fairly quiet ground when I swung my coil over a shallow crack in the granite and got another obnoxious blast from a target. Frustrated I started to walk away,…but “something†sounded a little different here. I took my hooked-screwdriver and was figuring on really digging deep into this crevice to get (what I thought was a damned lead-slug) out. I no more than slightly touched the upper edge of the crevice and out popped this little beauty,….a 2.0 Gram surprise, just barely covered with a little sand. I find “Sitting-Ducks†a rarity these days, and feel fortunate in finding one…… B) ……..Gary

post-803-1153087755_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hello Gary,

Congrats on the new nugget find! Heck, when you can find a "Sitting Duck" you better take it. Man, I don't know how you can handle that Lnyx Creek hunting. A customer just purchased a new Minelab SD2100v2 last week and was heading up there this weekend. I told him it was going to be trashy, but could be rewarding due to the amount of gold and nuggets that have been found there.

I picked up 11 small nuggets this weekend, but I have to search for higher ground. The lower Bradshaw's are just too hot to hunt unless you're into a patch! :P

On another note, how was the Pirates of the Caribean, Dead Man's Chest? :blink:

Jonny Depp plays a good Captain Jack Sparrow!

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hay Rob;

I'd ask how you are doing,...but with 11 new nuggets this weekend I can pretty much tell. I feel pretty fortunate when I find more-than-one on a weekend ! !

As for Pirates of the Carabbean, Dead mans chest,........it's another EXCELLANT Swash-buckler,..........and I can't wait till the 3rd one comes out. If you havn't seen the 2nd one yet, it's a must see.

Well, it rained again today and cooled things off again. I went back out this morning, but had no luck, oh well, ya take what you can get.

Talk to ya later,...........Gary

• Admin

Hello Gary,

As much as I love finding 11 nuggets for two short hunts, we both know it's not always like that. I'm happy just finding a single nugget on a hunt. I did hit two patch areas this year that yield a bunch of nuggets, but nothing really big. One patch produced about 75-80 nuggets and the most recently one about 125 so far. It's just too hot to hike in and spend more time there. I'm positive there are at least another 25 nuggets or so waiting to be found due to the size of the area.

Looking forward to seeing Pirates of the Caribean! :D Didn't realize there was going to be a third one, but maybe I need to see the second to find that out.

Wishing you the best of luck out there,

Rob Allison

Hay Rob;

Maybe when it cools off later on this year we could meet up and go out somewhere down there???---it's hard for me to "phathum" a nugget patch that yields that many nuggerts, as I've never come across one. I'd hate to see you and ??Le-vor-ite?? have all the fun and find all the nuggets. Those last few photos of your gold finds sort of look like Soap Creek,........I still want to someday get down that way and try my luck.

As for Pirates of the Carobbean,....they made both the 2nd and the 3rd films at the same time, but the 3rd won't be released until about July of next year. There is sort of a surprise at the end of the 2nd film,.........but I aint going to tell ya what it is>>>>>>>"AARRRRR",.. :blink: ..."stick-to-the-pirates-code,........TAKE-EVERYTHING,..DON'T GIVE NOTH'N BACK"

........Or, something to that effect......... B) .......Gary :lol:

• Admin

Hello Gary,

That sounds like a plan. Would be nice to meet you in person. I will show you a few of those old spots so you can get an idea what to keep an eye open for. You might even be able to sneak a nugget or two out of them! :D

Have a couple of field instructions this weekend. Going to be hot and hope the customers don't go running away! I'm worried about the couple from back east.

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

:mellow: wow i wish i had some people like you guys in my area could really learn alot. Ill just keep reading and hopefully i can find some good areas. i cant even emagine finding a patch full of nuggets that would be so neat. oh well guess ive got plenty of time im only 28!!!!!!! so yah ive got lots to learn.

you guys are great just keep it up,thanks Ron

• Admin

Hello Ron,

This Winter season I have a lot of plans for this forum. I'm going to hold a special event if everything goes well. It will be the biggest and baddest nugget shoot-out in the WEST! :o You think you seen good outings, people haven't seen nothing yet. :P

If it wasn't so freaking hot right now I would invite you down. Most of the hunts right now are short early morning ones.

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison