"BECOMING A SUCCESSFUL DRYWASHER"

• Admin

Hello All,

I know you might think I'm plugging the hell out of Jim Straight's book, but that's what I'm doing! :D:P Jim Straight is so knowledgeable that his books/booklets shouldn't be kept a secret anymore. Many probably don't even know about this booklet, but Jim wrote a book titled, "Successful Drywashing, For the Man Who Wants to Know the Secrects of Successful Drywashing."

This booklet covers the following topics and more -

• Little Known Old-Timer Tips
  • Problem Solving
  • How to Set Up
  • Moisture Calculations
  • Dead Air Space
  • Wet and Dry Recovery Methods
  • And More ....

This book is an absolute must for anyone wanting to become a successful Drywasher. Without a doubt the best Drywashing book on the market. The booklet contains 33 pages of jam-packed Drywasher information. Also, every copy personally autographed by Jim Straight. :o

Your Price - $9.95 + $3.00 US First Class Mail & Handling

If you're interested in this booklet please contact me through email - [email protected] or by the phone number listed below.

P.S. Jim, Thanks for all the great books you have written over the years. You will never be just a "Pitstop" for me, but rather a lifetime friend and mentor! ;)

Take care,

Rob Allison

Gosh Rob... What can I say? There are other booklets on drywashing available. One booklet is by San Radding... "Desert Gold Drywashing." copyright/published in 1996. (By a coincidence, within a few weeks

of when "Successful Drywashing" also hit the streets.)

Sam and I were good friends. Our earlier books were originally published by Mountain Publications, then in Crestline CA. Sam was a go-getter. A real craftsman and he spent considerable time out drywashing and testing his various designs. I would often run across Sam in the Randsburg area. (He would often visit George Carpenter in "Jo'burg"). We were both familiar with the Beck drywasher. If you have a copy of Sams booklet, see page 11. Then compare it with Successful Drywashing on page "e." At this time (1996) Charlie Salwasser in Randsburg was manufacturing the Beck.

Hopefully the Beck is still available through Russ Ford in Dewey, AZ. (I'm sure many of the posters on this forum know Russ.)--- Also, there is more about the Beck in the 7th Edition, a photo on page 14, and more information about Russ Ford in page 268. (Russ is very skilled in both drywashing and detecting.) There is also a section on the history of drywashing pgs. 11-20; information about drywashing on pgs 21-40 where I slowly introduce detecting old drywasher areas (pg. 33).

To summarize... Sam Radding has evidentally passed away. It was sudden. I had his phone number, home address, and e-mail address... I have tried to contact Jean Brosius, and I do not know who is publishing Sams booket. If you can get a copy I highly recommend it. It used to sell the same price as Successful Drywashing... but had information on "how-to"build a drywasher.

I miss Sam... he was very talented. He was well known as a boat builder... even guitars. We were not competing... Together "Desert Gold Drywashing" and "Successful Drywashing" really complement each other... And, the more a detectorist knows about drywashing, the sharper his skills in nuggetshooting.

Rob... thank you old friend.... Gosh our friendship goes back about 10 years. And today it is even stronger.

Hi Jim,

Just thought I'd let you know that there's a 'thread' on Bill Southerns forum from Rick(So Cal) that you may want to take a peek at. :D

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index...?showtopic=7599

Just a short note here Jim, Russ Ford now owns what was once Black Horse Mining. For anyone that wants to talk about the Beck drywasher, he's da man! :)

http://www.russfordprospecting.com/

6426 E Hwy 69 Prescott Valley, AZ 86314

Phone: 928-772-4131

[email protected]

Hours: Tuesday - Saturday 9am to 5pm

Best to you Jim, and thanks for providing us with a wealth of knowledge and informatiom.

Gary

PS: Rob, hope I didn't 'ruffle any feathers' here, :unsure: if I did let me know!??!!

• Admin

Hello Jim,

I personally don't have a copy of Sam Radding's drywasher book, but have glanced through it before on the shelf. I actually forgot about the book until you mentioned it. Ok, so there are a couple of drywasher books available.

When most people purchase drywasher's (especially new prospectors) they have no clue how to properly set the unit up. Understanding how to properly set up a drywashwer and targeting the right locations can great affect someone's success. The more you know about any one thing the better your chances will be in the long run.

I know when I avidly drywashed the Arizona desert regions your book was a must. I had a good idea on how to set-up the drywasher, but there was a lot of other stuff I was uncertain about until I read your book cover to cover! :D Without a doubt, drywashing can take a lot of experimenting to figure out the best methods, since ground conditions and type of gold vary from placer to placer.

I pretty much gave the drywashing up, but know a couple of spots where I'm sure you could recover a couple of ounces of smaller gold very quickly with one. I'm half-tempted to get another small drywasher and vac for testing purposes.

Just recently I found a very small wash were I personally recovered about 11-12 small gold nuggets. During the process of extracting the gold nuggets from the small cracks, I was able to see a lot of small pickers and fines. This is one place were I think a drywasher would do well.

P.S. I think your books have inspired more people than you can imagine Jim. You're only seeing a small percentage of people that can give you feedback on the forum and through email. There are thousands of people that don't have Internet access or don't care to play around on a PC. Also, Mr. B said I'm doing well with book sales! ;)

Take care,

Rob Allison

gotgold... thanks for the heads up to the thread on Bills forum... I posted to it.... (one neat thing

about Rob he does not get ruffled feathers...)

If anyone in the Riverside/San Bernardino California area is interested in informal get togethers

and doing some coin hunting, beach, and even some nugget hunting, and certainly great fellowship

call Dee Stapp at Stapp Mining in San Bernadino... The folks at Stapp Mining are old friends

and Dee could be the information point.

I got nothing to sell... getting old... nearly deaf.... what else?.... I forget. But anyone reading

this thread and local to the San Bernardino (city) area, all are welcome... ( just keep reminding

me about what the subject is so I do not start talking about fishing> GRIN)

Rob---- again thank you.... not for "pushing" my books; but for so freely giving and and making

knowledge on the various facets of prospecting available. And also for giving me a helping hand

with your knowledge whenever I ask for it.... My Best to All... Jim Straight

• Admin

Hello Jim,

I received the publications we talked about. I’m very eager to check them out. Make sure you keep this a secret between you and I. :lol::rolleyes: You know, Mum's the Word.

Jim, I'm very open when it comes to products. I don't allow my "Feather's to get Ruffled" when someone else talks about a product I don't sell here, unlike what I seen on other forums. Regardless of what detector, searchcoil or how much gold you have found, you're always welcome here! :D

I can only remember when I first started. There was no Internet or Internet Prospecting Forums. I had to learn a lot on my own by trial and error. Luckily, several very successful Electronic Nugget Hunters took me under their wing. Several of them now passed, I give them all the credit in the world. Without them, your books and the willingness to learn I would still be looking for that first gold nugget.

I will never forget my roots! I can only hope they know I think about them often .... :(

Take care,

Rob Allison

Guest sandtrap

:rolleyes: Hey Mr. Jim,

That's why we hunt so well together-neither one of us can hear the other one. also, we both like coffee.; got a new percolator coffee pot, for my new (1993) cabover camper. We sleep in style the next time we go a hunting.

• Admin

Hello Jim,

Just curious when you're going to convince Jerry to come back out this way? I believe it was 2-3 years ago you guys headed down to Stanton. I wasn't able to break free and meet up with you guys. I heard you guys found several nuggets (maybe Jerry) right around the camp area! :D

Take care,

Rob Allison

Sandtrap (Jerry) could not make that trip. He was busy working 12/7 as a security

guard at Edwards.

Yep... about the nuggets... Two were found in the lower end at the LDMA

Stanton outing in December a few years ago. Both were found just a few

foot away from our campsite... One was found by Bear who had just bought

his Eureka Gold from Sandy the day before. The other was found by Ed Spurgeon

who was using my ol' trusty 17000 with the accessory 6-inch circular DD.

Lesson: Gold is where you find it. Do not walk over gold looking for gold.

Sandtrap has become an accomplished nugget hunter... Mid-range areas

(Ref: "Conclusion" pgs. 32-33; ICMJ, May, 2006.)

• 4 years later...

:wacko: This is an old post. However this tread has been brought to my attention that I have made a error regarding Sam Radding "demise."

He is alive and well and now involved in small scale sniping (using small hand tools) for gold in the motherlode.

Sams book, "Desert Gold Drywashing" is still being published and it is a great book that

should be in the hands of everyone out dry washing.

Sam if you happen to read this post :spank: me for sure... You are the Best! Jim Straight

• Admin

Hey Jim,

No wonder I've had so many recent calls for this book. I think I sold 5 copies today with several more customers that I haven't called back yet. Thought it was kind of strange all of a sudden, but then seen this post back up towards the top.

Hope you're doing well Jim.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Rob :) ... thank you for your friendship over the years. It seems that those googling "jim straight writer ICMJ" are now contacting me too. I wrote a number of freelance articles (about 1999 to about 2008) for the ICMJ and there now seems to be interest in them...

Gembooks has a new catalog out. Reno Chris's "Fists Full of Gold" and all four of my books are listed... Currently, my best seller is "Three Hours to Gold from Southern California." It is printed on a full color laser printer and spiral bound... expensive to have done and I clear very little on each copy as I have pegged it to sell $19.95 each, but my tax-lady says my book business qualifies as a hobby as my books no longer are making money.

I had let "Nuggetshooting Dryplacer Areas" (with the mini-insert: Detecting for Hardrock Gold)go out of print as I considered it outdated, but the demand for it is brisk, so it is being edited and updated by "Liz's Electronic office" and will be published and distributed through her Service.

Howdy everyone who has recently read this thread... Notice the original posts were made years ago, and then buried under the later forum posts... but be aware

as it has been brought to my attention by going to google and other search engines that most of the earlier posts on many forums on many subjects are out there... good and bad... My Best... Ol' Jim Straight

Hey speakin of kickin up old stuff ,Is sandtrap.{jerry} all fixed up ,last season he was still recupin from surgery? About time to meet up with the old camo suzuki and the old horse trader before it gets to hot out there?

Guest sandtrap

No surgery,just real bad arthritis in knees and hips. It has slowed me down considerably, but I won't stop.. Retired again; let the kids protect the naval weapons base here. Am enjoying my hobbies more now; no time limit

• 2 weeks later...

Well Sandtrap... How are you ever "BECOMING A SUCCESSFUL DRYWASHER" by letting arthritis get you down! Get to the Dr and have something done... You sold the Beck, But you still have the "Nick's Nugget." But it will not find gold by setting in your garage, just dust... :(

I have made an preliminary appointment to go to Kaiser hospital for my arthitis.. Today, with gold at about $1500

just a pennywight drywashed is worthwhile to go out to one of our local clubs and work one of the channels. :D JS

Hi Jim -

Hope you and your family are doing well.

Fists Full of Gold is undergoing its second printing - the first 3000 copies printed in January 2010 are all gone. :D

I am actually looking forward to doing some dry washing in combination with detecting and other prospecting this summer. I was doing OK with it when the weather closed me out last fall. The one thing about dry washing is that its hard to do in the pouring rain with puddles all around in your dig hole. I tried it, but running mud into your dry washer just doesnt work very well! :blink:

Still some snow in the high country here but its melting fast and that ground will soon be dry again.

Chris

Fists Full of Gold is undergoing its second printing - the first 3000 copies printed in January 2010 are all gone. :D

Chris

I picked up your Book Fists Full of Gold last night at the local Barnes and Noble and didn't get any sleep! Thanks for the great book. Can't wait to get off work and get back into it. The best gold book I've put my hands on yet. Thanks.

Howdy Reno Chris.... Great for you :D ... Fists Full of Gold is a great book!

Well about me: I'm okay, but getting older. We now have nine great grandkids and enjoying family life.

As you know I no longer write for ICMJ... you were right when you told me my material was suited for Treasure Magazines and not the ICMJ :blush: It was embarrasing for me whem you to rejected my articles on "Fremont's lost canon" and the one on "Mormon Crickets." ... However, all I care to write is just one or two articles a year which keeps me busy writing for Treasure Magazines. :D.

However, I still get a lot of questions regarding some aspect of mining which I acknowledge as best I can and then refer the writer to "ask the experts" with the ICMJ... You should have recently got a question (re: gossans.)

However, since you opened the door about how well your book is doing: HEY EVERYONE:... Western and Eastern Treasures (2011 Silver & Gold Annual) has just hit the newsstands.

I was lucky and made the cut. (I was one of the 14 who made the cut). People,s Publishing spends a year selecting the best articles and the competion is fierce (and I have had my share of rejections over the past 30 years.)

My field test on the Fisher Gold Bug Pro was accepted!.. WOW! As a hard rock geologest (old school when small scale mining was alive and well); and a (unregistered) Soil Engineer, I really gave the GB-Pro a workout in the well pounded Randsburg Quadrangle...

If you wish to learn about Bargraph Readings (amount of mineralization)and Phase Readings (type of mineralization) and the computerized Fast Grab ground balancing; this will give you a summary.

Also... as frosting on the cake, in the article there is a photo of "SANDTRAP" Jerry Balcer working a rivulet...

My Best to ALL... Jim Straight

Hi Jim -

Nine great grand kids is really something to be very proud of. I hope someday that I will get to see at least a few of my own great grand kids.

I few years ago a couple friends and I were chatting with a long time ICMJ subscriber. They asked him what he thought about the magazine, and he told us that the only good articles we ever published were the ones by Jim Straight.

I agree, I think some of the best things we've ever published had your name on them.

But every magazine has its types of articles it publishes, and types it that it doesn't. I could write a great article about bow hunting for deer and it would never get published in the ICMJ - if it was good enough maybe it could get into something like Field and Stream, but not the ICMJ, we don't do deer hunting articles.

We've both read the ICMJ for decades - and I cant think of a single story ICMJ has published about the search for lost treasure or artifacts. Lost Treasure on the other hand runs those stories - several each month because its what they do. We've also turned down fictional stories of mining in the old days that were well written - again because we dont publish fictional stories.

I really am genuinely sorry you feel bad that we turned down those articles, but it had nothing to do with you or with the quality - just that they didn't fall into the categories we publish.

As far as that gossan question - I never got it. If you want to send it to me again I'd be happy to look at it but I never saw it. On the other hand, Jim you have far more hands on experience working gossans than I do, and I think you'd be just the man to write about prospecting gossans. That's an article I'd love to publish.

Chris

Howdy Chris... if you did not get the Gossan question likely my

answer was all that was needed...

Actually I grew up knowing about the CMJ... The CMJ was pretty popular in the copper mining town of Ely... I bought my first copy

in Dec (1947) or January (1948) and still have several copies dating back to the late 1930's... I was writing articles for the CMJ before you came aboard and started writing articles such as mine...You are faster and better at it and I was soon the odd man, so this is why I got off track; but my stuff would of been okay for "picks and pans." Actually several of my "off-beat" articles were well received as I got lots of positive e-mail comments. Especially Fremont's lost Howitzer; likely it was rejected unread...

I was lucky to return to my first choice... writing articles for the various magazines... I'm pleased to say it worked out... best for me... And likely best for you too... I do not write for money. I do not write for fame... I'm just an old dyslexic, deaf and gimpy-legged "educator" who grew up during the great depression and know "first hand" about living during this time with the mines shut down and the miners out of work. I write because I must...

And my tax-lady informed that my the sum of my freelance articles and my book publishing business was consistently losing

money... So it qualifys as a hobby... not a business. You on the other hand are writing for money... Selling over 3000 copies of your book, and the money you earn for your articles should put you in big time... Good for You...

And thanks for your Friendship over the years... (And you should read my article in the 2011 S&G as over the past 40 years

"following the black sand" has been pretty sucessful for those who have learned it's secrets.) :):):):)