Prospector's Outing this February!!!

Join us for the biggest prospecting event of the season!!! :shock:

February 14th – 16th, 2004

Rich Hill, Arizona (USA)

I wanted to extend an invitation to all of you on Rob's forum. Don’t miss out on this incredible opportunity to learn valuable tips and tricks from experienced detectorists; including Australian prospector Jonathan Porter, meet fellow forum members in person, enjoy the camaraderie around the campfire, and prospect in one of Arizona’s premier goldfields! This outing is being provided at no charge by AZO, and is open to all who share a passion for prospecting. See you there! :D

• Admin

Hello Chris and Team AZO,

Thanks for registering on the forums! :D Like Chris stated the outing is going to be one of the best around. Over the years I have avidly joined and participated in the forum outings. Whether you’re an avid pro or just someone wanting to join this hobby, the outings are a great way to start.

Chris Gholson is a master detectorist, excellent author, relative and friend too boot. I would seriously look into this outing if you have never attended one before.

The amount of knowledge that weekend will be mind blowing.

Jonathan Porter from Australia is noted for his success in the goldfields.

Chris Gholson noted as a master detectorist, author and owner/operator of AZO (Arizona Outback).

Steve Gholson noted as a master detectorist, extensive electronics knowledge, revolutionary formulas and Father of Chris Gholson.

Bob Dansie noted for his success around the world hunting for gold nuggets. A true master of gold hunting, and one of the most helpful instructors and friends imaginable!

Bill Southern new member of AZO, noted for knowledge of the Arizona Goldfields, successful nuggetshooter and owner and operator of Nuggetshooting.com.

There are several handfuls of people that I have not included, but I'm sure most will be around.

The Tucson Gem and Mineral Show will be going on during the same time. However, if you’re looking to truly learn something, the outing will be the place.

If everything works out, I will be there at least a couple of days. I still would like to see the Tucson Gem and Mineral show one day if possible.

P.S. This could be the biggest outing of 2004, so I would recommend making the trip if possible. The lectures alone will be so informative to the newbie's, but the seasoned old salts will also pick up a few pointers! :D

Hope to see you there,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

Glad to hear you're going to make it, sounds like the Feb. outing is gearing up to be the biggest one yet! Poor ol' Rich Hill won't know what hit it! Here is a basic map showing the location of our campsite. I also intend to put out an AZO sign at the Decision Corner turnoff. If anyone has questions about getting to the Rich Hill/Stanton area, email Rob or myself. See you there! :D

Guest Bandana Don

Chris and Rob: Is the AZO outing location the same spot as Bill's outing? A lil hard for me to tell for sure from the map. Have recently seen some RV's parked in the area so was wondering if you would move the location more to the South to make room for the multitude of attendees.

Guess I'll just commute daily from Peeples Valley. If I brough the RV I would not want to keep L.C. (my dog) on a chain all day long...the County does have a leash law and it'd just be my luck to get nailed if'n I didn't have her on a chain/leash.

Looking forward to the AZO OUTING. Certinaly want to meet Jonathan and hear his presentaion along with those of the other speakers. Think this is a golden opportunity to learn from the pros.

Don

I saw it mentioned in another post that most will be hunting the "Weaver Mining District" claims and that it requires $25 to join this club/association. I can not find any reference to this on the internet. How can one join? Where is a map indicating these claims? Should one do this now or is there someone in/near Stanton that will take dues?

Of course, there is always the GPAA Lucky Linda claim two miles further down the trail.

• Admin

Hello CC,

The Weaver Mining District is located in Congress, Arizona. Here is the information I have on them -

Weaver Mining District

P.O. Box 955

Congress, AZ 85332

(928) 427-6344

Les Bender is the guy that runs the place. The membership is $25/year, and I heard they even got some new claims now.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Guest southerndesert

Hi Guys,

Les said he will be in the office that weekend to hand out memberships to those that wish to purchase them. You will also get maps to the claims and Les is a great guy to meet and talk to.

Bill

Gary, all of us San Diego folks will have to get together sometime since I'd like to do some occasional searching in the Julian, Banner and East San Diego County areas. I'm also commited to heading to AZ several times per year whenever possible. I live in Chula Vista and work all the way up in Rancho Bernardo. Are you heading over to the AZO get-together?

Dallas.....

Hey CC where ya at in San Diego?  I live in Ranchita and work out of San Marcos.

GARY S

I'm in Vista. A member of SPMA club that meets in Lemon Grove

and just joined new chapter of GPAA out of Escondido.

The new GPAA chapter would be right on your backdoor.

Looks like Greenhorn is another SDer.

Maybe I've seen ya'll at either of these clubs?

I'm new to this. Just received from a friend a White's XLT. I've only used it on the beaches here, but, I know this thing can do a lot more. I need to attend your outing . May I have the directions, times and anything else you think I might need!

Thank You,

Mike

Join us for the biggest prospecting event of the season!!! :shock:  

Rich Hill, Arizona (USA)

I wanted to extend an invitation to all of you on Rob's forum. Don’t miss out on this incredible opportunity to learn valuable tips and tricks from experienced detectorists; including Australian prospector Jonathan Porter, meet fellow forum members in person, enjoy the camaraderie around the campfire, and prospect in one of Arizona’s premier goldfields! This outing is being provided at no charge by AZO, and is open to all who share a passion for prospecting. See you there! :D

• Admin

Hello bigmfish,

These outings can be a big blast! I conducted the first online outing at Quartzsite about 4 years ago. Since then, the fun has continued with several other on-line forum outings.

Here is the information you asked for -

Arizona Outback’s

Prospector’s Extravaganza

Join us for the biggest prospecting event of the season!!!

Rich Hill, Arizona

Whether you are new to gold prospecting, or a seasoned detectorist, this outing promises to be an event you will not want to miss! Come and join us for special guest lectures, hands-on demonstrations, and a chance to see some of the industries newest gear: including the Lithium Ion Battery System and the Nugget Finder Coils.

If you follow the forum you are sure to have read some of his posts, now you can meet the man in person. Professional prospector and detector operator Jonathan Porter is flying in from Australia to join us for this special occasion. If you’ve ever dreamed of prospecting in the vast Outback you won’t want to miss his lectures! His extensive knowledge of metal detecting will make for some exciting and educational discussion.

Some of the other things happening around camp will include: Bob “Montana” Dansie will be providing a lecture on the basics of prospecting with a detector in Arizona. Chris Gholson will be providing a lecture and digital slide show on the history of the Rich Hill/ Stanton Goldfield. Steve Gholson will be lecturing on the correct methods used in determining the actual amount of precious metal in a specimen. After the lecture Steve will be on hand to analyze a few samples – so bring along your specimens! Joe Kauffman will be hosting a special discussion on hunting big game in Arizona. And Mel Oliverson, an ex-military man who now works closely with the Yavapai County Search and Rescue Division, will be sharing secrets of backcountry navigation using a compass, GPS, and maps. Bill Southern will be on hand to answer questions and share some of his detecting expertise. AZO will also be giving away several door prizes!

Don’t miss out on this incredible opportunity to learn valuable tips and tricks from experienced pros, meet fellow forum members in person, enjoy the camaraderie around the campfire, and prospect in one of Arizona’s premier goldfields! This outing is being provided at no charge by AZO, and is open to all who share a passion for prospecting. See you there!

Outing Itinerary

SATURDAY 14th

10:00 AM – 11:00 AM

Lecturer: Steve Gholson

Topic: Specific Gravity and Relation to Gold Specimens

11:00AM – 12:30 PM

Lecturer: Steve Gholson

Hands On: Calculating the Gold Content

2:30 PM – Dusk

Lecturer: Jonathan Porter

Topic: Detecting Tips & Techniques with the Minelab GP Series

SUNDAY 15th

10:00 AM – 11:30 AM

Lecturer: Bob “Montana” Dansie

Topic: Successful Electronic Prospecting

1:00 PM – 2:00 PM

Lecturer: Joe Kauffman

Topic: Hunting Big Game In Arizona

3:00 PM – 5:30 PM

Lecturer: Jonathan Porter

Topic: Prospecting Australia’s Goldfields

Dusk

Lecturer: Chris Gholson

Topic: Rich Hill: Arizona’s Premier Goldfield (Digital Slide Show & Lecture)

MONDAY 16th

9:30 AM – 12:00 PM

Lecturer: Mel Oliverson

Topic: Backcountry Navigation (Using GPS, Map, and Compass)

2:00 PM – 3:30 PM

Lecturer(s): Team AZO

Topic: Q & A Session. Join us for this no holds barred session and get your prospecting/ detecting questions answered

Hope this helps some,

Rob Allison

• 3 years later...