new to detecting..

Hi,

I am just getting started and would like to hear from people on what detectors would be suitable for both Gold and metorite prospecting. I live in Colorado and plan to take my detector to South america and do some desert detecting there..

I've about the new minelab 4000, but as a novice wanted to know what else would be suitable for me. A local recommended the Tesoro Vaquero.

Thanks

mycorrado

• Admin

Hello mycorrado,

Sorry no one has responded to this post. I've been out of town for the last couple of days. There's no doubt in my opinion the GPX-4000 is the best gold detector on the market. However, I'm not a meteorite expert by any means and can't say it's the best detector for meteorites. There are a lot of meteorites that are "undetectable" due to the very low Nickle/Iron content. Some of high freq. VLF's work best for meteorite hunting.

There are a lot of books about gold placers and meteorites. I personally have a book or two on gold placers in Colorado and several books on Meteorites. Shoot me over an email at - [email protected] and I can tell you more.

P.S. If you have a State Land or BLM Department, they will have Land Surface Maps that will show BLM, Forest and Private Land. The BLM LR2000 might be best for online mineral claim research.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison