Busted Axle on the Rich Hill Road :angry:

:angry: Yo All...I've been heading out to Rich Hill to hunt the 24K claims and others quite a bit over the past couple months...The road out to Stanton, Rich Hill and beyond is absolute washboard hell...Worst I've ever seen in 50 years of runnin' desert roads... Anyhow, the "frequency" of the road is about 48 - 52 miles per hour...Beats the snot out of machines... I was coming in Saturday on my Honda 250 sx from the patches on RH and as I rode up to my Silverado I noticed a big spot of oil under the driver's side rear...I figured it was brake fluid, even though my brakes seemed fine... Got on home ok, but Sunday morning was loading up to get back out and saw a huge oil spot under the same location...Got down and low & behold my entire axle housing left side was busted open, 90% all the way around ... Long story short, I'm grounded until my new rear assembly gets here that I ordered from Cherry Auto Parts (or some similar name) ...

There are nuggets that want to come home with me now sitting out there in that cold sand and I can't do nothing about it!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure::mellow::angry:<_< ... Cheers, Yer Bummed Unc in the Dubyah

• Admin

Hello Uncle Ron,

The problem is you're driving 85 MPH on the Stanton Road trying to beat everyone to the push on Saturday's! :P No really, if you would have purchased a GMC that wouldn't have happened. Hehe... :rolleyes: Hope you get your truck fixed soon so you can get some more nuggies. ;)

I'm having nugget withdrawls ... :mellow:

Rob Allison

Hey Ron,

You going to have that thing fixed by this week-end?? If not I will see if I can find a couple of nug's for both of us. :lol::o

They should be about ready to grade that road. Of the hundreds of times that I have been over that thing, I believe this is the worst I have ever seen it.

Bet some of those big motorhomes at Stanton really enjoy it.

Later

Bob T.

Hi Ron, i copied this from my reply on another thread. I didn't see this one.

Ps. Ron, that sucks I don't work for the body shop anymore or I could help with a good salvage axle. Your call, but insurance might cover it. I've seen them cover other "off road accidents" Might be worth a call.

Later...Jim P.

Hey Ron

Your right that road is so bad. I was going to stop and talk :angry: to someone there at Stanton, since it because all the people living there and get them to do something to fix it. If they just drag something like a fence everytime they needed to go to town it would be a lot better. Anyways I didn't think anything until you said something but my rearend is messed up to. You would think someone over there would have some brains. We should find out who to talk to and give that club hell and a bill. Good luck and get out there and find me some gold. ;)

Kim

While I was staying at Stanton the people called constantly to have them grade the road that belongs to the county and the county simply stated they would grade it at their leisure.....if you think that road is bad try to drive into the Italian Bar GPAA/LDMA camp. It is 6 miles downhill on a one lane road with a cliff on one side. You would think that as many dollars as people bring into the community that they would fix the road in a more permanent fashion.

While you are kicking back at home like me Uncle Ron make me up a map as to the exact location of each of those nuggets and I'll give you a share when I get them. Jerry

Ron:

I'll be testing the road into Stanton with a rental car in a little over a month when I drive out to the AZO get together. I always get some cheapo little compact car in Phoenix - think I should be getting the extra rental car insurance? If one drives slow it is passable?

Chris

Yo CHris & All...I tried driving it slow and it just beat me to death....Even at a walking pace it just sucks...

I saw a "Myth Busters" show last month where they tested the "Myth" that driving a washboard road fast made for a smoother ride....They hooked up some gadgets to measure and, guess what! It turned out to be true. Driving a road as bad as the Stanton road fast smoothed out the ride a whole lot. Course, they weren't measuring the wear and tear on the vehicle, just how it felt to the humans inside. I'm walking proof (literally) that the rig don't like it much :lol::lol: ... I guess ya just have to grit yer teeth and go for it...Cheers, Unc

Imagine what it is like for all of those expensive RVs there at Stanton!

I bet they shake rattle and roll after an in and out trip on Washboard Hell.

When I was there over Thanksgiving, I towed my Jeep Wrangler behind my 89 Suburban and at about 50 things smoothed out nice. the trouble was that when going out to Congress a few times in the Jeep at 50-55mph I'd start drifting offline much like an airplane in a cross wind landing! A couple of times I experienced the "Pucker Syndrom" cause there was a truck coming from the other direction as I was drifting over to their side of the road and usually while in a turn!

Made for an interesting ride!

I heard that the road had been worked on a while back, but the stupid construction company started at the front and worked their way in all the while beating the crap out of what they had improved with the heavy machinery!

Except for the few washes with concrete covers they road is as bad as it has always been. That is the problem with roads made over thin bedded rock outcropings. No matter what is done short of laying asphalt or concrete, the problem is just a thin layer of dust down waiting to re-establish the old washboard!

Could you just imagine how that would feel traversing that country in a covered wagon!

Hope all is well and that ya'll will save me some gold to find when I get back out!

Have a great week!

Karl

Guest Bandana Don

Morning Uncle Ron and ALL: I posted a reply to you over on AZO and suggest you read what I wrote. There simply is no damn reason for people to drive fast on gravel roads cause all the fast driving (just to get on top of the Washboard) does is tear up the road and do expensive damage to the SPEEDERS VEHICLES. I can't blame the County for not spending $$$ grading the road into Stanton/Rich Hill just so the butt heads can drive like fools.

CAN YA TELL I"M PISSED OFF? :P

Have a great day.

Don

I've been on that road only a few times a couple of years back and that washboard was pretty bad but not nearly as nasty as the run off from that Dairy! The week I was there (Feb '04?), it rained and rained and rained... There was grungy looking, foamy and awful smelling streams crossing the road down hill from all those cows. Sure glad I wasn't on a quad! :D

Yep, that dairy can be traumatic to your nosehairs :D:unsure: ...I always check which way the wind is blowing...Usually, during the day, it blows up hill toward the dairy...But around sundown it reverses and blows down hill across the road...I always shut my vents and make sure the window are shut tight after dark... Couple of times, though, I was preoccupied and wasn't paying attention...Shore does make for some powerful ungodly boogers :lol::lol::o Cheers, Unc

For those washboard roads, try letting about 10-15% of the air pressure out of the tires. Carry a good brand portable compressor for when you get back to pavement. El cheapo compressors tend to seize up right as the first tire is about full.

Cheers,

-Goldmember

(whose day job is as a mechanic)

Was it the "pumpkin" (diff housing) or axle tube? Either case, replacing is better than trying to weld. The diff case is cast iron nad not easily field-welded.

Frustrating though this is, you should count your blessings that it didn't break at speed on the highway. I have seen the aftermath of u-bolt failure, where a wheel tucks under the fender. One second you are driving along, the next minute the vehicle is TUMBLING!!!! Two of these were known to be fatals to me; the rest looked it but no details. I've seen some bad ones in my 21 years in the car biz.

You are actually a lucky man!!

-Goldmember