Newbie needs help

Hi Everyone,

I really need help. First off I love this forum. I just happened to stumble upon it in a google search and there sure is tons of info here.

Here is my problem. I am relatively new to this and really want to get started but i am also limited in funds to start off with. Basically i cant afford a new minelab 3500 or 4000 and I also want to be versatile between nugget hunting and coin and jewelry.

I live in Nw Indiana along lake michigan so the majority of my hunting is going to be coins, jewelry and relics. On the other side my folks live in North Carolina next to Andrews and the Nantahala forest and that whole area is loaded with rivers, streams, creek beds and you name it. Not to mention that andrews is well known for its gold. I only expect to maybe spend 3 weeks out of the year down there nugget hunting.

So my question is, is there a reliable unit that will work in all situations or am i better off buying 2 units, one for nugget hunting and one for coins and such. Funding available is only around 1600-1700.00 to make my purchase. Can anyone advise my best option here and what unit or units will be best for a beginner to get the hang of.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

:D Hi bushpilot

I live in Arizona and last year decided to get into metal detecting for gold. I have done what you and most others do just look and read alot of information. I also was not willing to startout spending a whole bunch of cash for a new hobby that I was not sure of if I would contiinue after a year.

I decided ona Minelab SD2100v2 which is a great middle of the line PI (I think it means Pulse Induced) gold detector. The cost of a new one with all the extras and shipping is right up your price range.

What is nice about the 2100 is that its very easy to adjust and go. It is great resonable cost PI detector.

So thats my 2 cents.

Oh by the way you want to see my first nugget I found last weekend. :D:D:D

I'm sure Rob Allison who runs this board and sells Minelabs will give you a great deals. What is nice about most of his deals it includes a lot of free extras and most of the time the price includes shipping.

Here is my BIG nugget

Iggy

Hi bushpilot,

I use a Whites Spectrum XLT for coins and jewelry and its just great at it. However, for gold I am using a SD2100 and a Eureka Gold made by Minelab. For Relics I think I would use the 2100 for its depth. But to use the Minelabs in a place like a park would drive you nuts, no way to make sense out of things. For the park the XLT and detectors like it are great.

Riverman

Hi Everyone,

I really need help. First off I love this forum. I just happened to stumble upon it in a google search and there sure is tons of info here.

Here is my problem. I am relatively new to this and really want to get started but i am also limited in funds to start off with. Basically i cant afford a new minelab 3500 or 4000 and I also want to be versatile between nugget hunting and coin and jewelry.

I live in Nw Indiana along lake michigan so the majority of my hunting is going to be coins, jewelry and relics. On the other side my folks live in North Carolina next to Andrews and the Nantahala forest and that whole area is loaded with rivers, streams, creek beds and you name it. Not to mention that andrews is well known for its gold. I only expect to maybe spend 3 weeks out of the year down there nugget hunting.

So my question is, is there a reliable unit that will work in all situations or am i better off buying 2 units, one for nugget hunting and one for coins and such. Funding available is only around 1600-1700.00 to make my purchase. Can anyone advise my best option here and what unit or units will be best for a beginner to get the hang of.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Bushpilot,

You might want to check out the Whites MXT, which has 3 modes, coins, relics and prospecting. Aslo the Minelab Xetrra 70 has 3 modes. Not knowing what your budget will hold, these 2 run around 7-800 dollars.

Check with Rob, he may have a good deal going right now.

Glenn here on the forum has a Fisher Gold Strike for sale, don't know much about them, I use a Fisher Gold Bug 2. Its found gold, nails, coins, cans and bullets.

WELCOME ABOARD

O'29er in 29

hi bushpilot theres some pretty good gold in your state its one of the better midwest states for gold. i knew a ole boy who use to hunt the shores by the lakes and find some nice gold in quarzt specimans and did real well farther south in indiana with a small dredge. happy hunting! TOOL ps do some checkin on the rock qaurrys he looked for redish layers in the cuts and did real good in those spots

Hello Bushpilot!

I would go with the Xterra-70.

Great detector, light and has both programs for Prospecting, Relics, Coins, ect.

I hunt mining camps for coins and with a push of the button, will be prospecting.

Just get use to the numbers for coins.

Last weekend I was finding bullets the P.I.'s missed (which sounds just like a nugget) and found a nice nugget...Great machine, you won't be sorry.

Alan

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

I'm a newbee too but I found this in case your interested in the Eureka Gold, a VLF detector that can pick up jewellry and whatnot

QUOTE: 'So for those after a good VLF with disc ability which offers versatility for coin , relic

and gold detecting and high sensitivity I can honestly recommend the Eureka Gold....'

Here's the full test run of it if your interested

http://www.minelab.com/consumer/page.php?section=298

Wow,

Thanks everyone for all the tips so far. I have alot of researching to do on this. I am thinking i may go with 2 detectors. I am thinkin about the x-terra 70 for up here by the house and not so sure about the nugget hunting in carolina yet but possibly maybe a goldbug 2. I cant wait to hit the creek in my folks back yard down there. they are up in the mountain and on a big bedrock area. I can think of about 4-5 streams and rivers within a few miles of the house to hunt already. I am planning on a trip down there at the end of this month.

I am definately open to all opinions and suggestions on my detector dilemma. As i said i have about 1600 to 1700 bucks to spend so maybe I can come up with 2 good detectors that would be good for my beginning stages. I have an old classic 2 that just drives me nuts here along the beach. never realized just how many beer cans there are buried in the beach till now...lol.

Thanks everyone and keep the tips coming in.