Metal detecting

greetings.....I'm Rob, new to the forum, any good word about san gabriel river? I was there this week end knee deep with my minelab musk and had a super signal under a rock, I cound not move. Needed a pry bar..... going back ..what ya think,trash or GOLD!!!!!!.

See YA!!!

RD

greetings.....I'm Rob, new to the forum, any good word about san gabriel river? I was there this week end knee deep with my minelab musk and had a super signal under a rock, I cound not move. Needed a pry bar..... going back ..what ya think,trash or GOLD!!!!!!.

See YA!!!

RD

Most likely trash, but you never know...

Trash is a problem. I've picked up alot of trash at the beach, but found alot of jewlery too.

I heard the east fork is where most people prospect, alot of trash there too?

It is a good thing I can discriminate most of it.

I heard a fellow found a $33.000 nugget in Temecula after his truck broke down as he was waiting for tow.Wow you never know.

Thanks for the replies.

RD

• Admin

Hello RD,

Never hunted that country, but I would suggest looking for higher benches to get away from some of the trash. Sometimes the higher benches are older gravels and have less trash unless the old-timers worked them.

Don't give up, there is gold along that River,

Rob Allison

I prospected there years ago (not with a metal detector), and there are some old hydraulic mines along the east fork, some of the a couple hundred feet above the level of the river now. The bottom of those old hydraulic mines might be a good place to look for an overlooked nugget. Probably less trash too.

Chris

Thanks for the tips, I will keep you updated if I find anything of intrest.I did have to move up about 2.000 feet to get away from people and camps. The water was so clean and clear that I had to jump in there and take a look,I could see every single pebble in that river to my suprise.YA NEVER KNOW!!!!That mining spot sounds very intresting have to take look! As for benches I'm going to to have to look that up, and do some studying. This is my first time working the mountains and rivers I keep looking up to make sure no bears or mountain lions was looking for lunch "silly me" oh well it was still worth it.

heading for the beach now...Good nite to all.

RD

Be careful of yellow jacket nests up there, underground. 25 years ago I was up there on the East fork of the San Gabriel river, and ran into them on a hillside, and got bit without ever knowing exactly where the nest of them was. Up in this area I live in now - Central California - we call them meat bees - because they swarm on meat and take it away. They can take away a chicken leg in a few hours and leave the only a clean bone. They look the same down there too. I've got a healthy respect for them because I swell up from their bites a few hours later. How it happened then was I was hibanking (okay power sluicing) and the water coming off the sluice must have got a nest wet. But walking through can also piss em' off. There is gold up there but like anywhere you have to work for it.

Be careful of yellow jacket nests up there, underground. 25 years ago I was up there on the East fork of the San Gabriel river, and ran into them on a hillside, and got bit without ever knowing exactly where the nest of them was. Up in this area I live in now - Central California - we call them meat bees - because they swarm on meat and take it away. They can take away a chicken leg in a few hours and leave the only a clean bone. They look the same down there too. I've got a healthy respect for them because I swell up from their bites a few hours later. How it happened then was I was hibanking (okay power sluicing) and the water coming off the sluice must have got a nest wet. But walking through can also piss em' off. There is gold up there but like anywhere you have to work for it.

Wow cool story, man against nature!!!!big or small.I think I'll get me a repelant spray for wild animals and keep it on my belt.I heard it saved alot of people up in Alaska from big grizzlies.YA NEVER KNOW!!! Because I gotta keep on looking for that magic rock.

RD