UNUSUAL AND UNIQUE FIND

After observing Uncle Rons weather map of the huge storm cell that was mainly east of I-17 last night I descided to wander on over to a spot on the east side of the Bradshaws today :innocent0009: to see if any of the washes where indeed active. There had been some action in the washes, but not like what hit Scottsdale,..."Bummer" At any rate I did manage to find a small nugget, :whoopie: an unusually large lead slug, and old CARTER"S bottle ( I assume its Carters-little-liver-pills),....and what I believe to be an old stagecoach lamp (or lantern). :woohoo: When I was digging out the lead slug, I chucked a rock out of the way (that was in the wash) up onto the bank and into a large patch of scrub brush, and noticed something just lying there in the middle of the brush, next to a pack rats nest.

The main body of it is made of tin and has rusted from the elements, and other than a few rusted-out spots, it is still in pretty good shape. The lower kerosene reservoir is missing, but the top piece, bottom piece, and the wick-mound (on the inside) is made of some metal that has not rusted like that of the tin body. It has (2) inner panels that have been polished and shapped to reflect the light from the flame of the wick,..and the (2) other sides are made of approx. 1/4" glass to emitt the light. The outter edges of the exterior of the glass lenses is beveled as well. The back side of the unit has a mounting (holding) bracket that has a hole through it where a 3/8" steel rod would fit, and a square-bolt that would tighten it to the rod and hold it in place. The one reflective panel has a hinge on the bottom and a clasp on the top,....both still work. The whole unit (excludig the kerosene reservoir) is right at 12" long by about 5" wide. If anyone has any ideas on this,....let me know. :ph34r2:

Gary

post-803-1186024933_thumb.jpg

post-803-1186024964_thumb.jpg

post-803-1186024996_thumb.jpg

post-803-1186025029_thumb.jpg

post-803-1186025065_thumb.jpg

post-803-1186025100_thumb.jpg

post-803-1186025173_thumb.jpg

post-803-1186025212_thumb.jpg

could have been off an old hearst or something. some of these things like you have pictured, auction off in the several hundred dollar range. list one on ebay and see what you get. set a minimum reserve of $100.

as for the carter pill bottles, some of those have been sold for $thousands$.

who knows, maybe you found enough there to pay for a new 4x4 or toy combination. not all the glitters is gold, but sometimes worth a bit more

Gary,

Fred is right, what you have there is an Automotive carriage lantern from a time period around 1910. The bottle is a Carters Ink. A quick check on Ebay or a Google search will show you a number of them and also prices.

Carters little liver pills came in little tubular bottles with paper labels and also in small tins. They are quite common and can also be researched and priced with a Google or Ebay search. The advertizement posters sell for 10 times what the little bottles sell for.

http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/PD--126979...B74B1FA8785A2D7

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Daaaaaaaang Gary, that is a beaut! Don't take the first offer ya get!

There are lots of forgotten wagon roads and mining camps where the "garbage" is worth a fortune! There are whole worlds of people devoted to bottles, others to square nails, others to metal bits of riding tack, and still others into running gear. Then there are people who hunt meteorites and others who hunt old airplane wrecks; there is a WWII era wreck on one of my club's claims... the airplane hunter cringed at the miners describing throwing pieces in the bushes while they tried to detect. Don't be too quick to throw away targets that are not nuggets.

Then there are the people who "mine" old privies... and for that matter people who collect and restore old mining equipment... I heard of one guy who has a prized ore car and stamp mill in like his living room, lovingly restored...

Thanks for sharing.

-Goldmember

Thinking about this some more, and recalling a recent trip to the lighting department at Home Despot, something struck me.

It is 2007, and you can buy an incredible variety of light fixtures, using the most modern light sources such as (never mind 100-year-old tungsten technology) Compact fluorescent, gas discharge, and the latest in cool-running LEDs... and a great majority of these contemporary fixtures are equipped with modern-for-1890 windproof chimneys and air intakes!!! :blink: Amazing the way they keep building them like that; long after they forgot what the fancy appendages were originally evolved to do, they still make them so the glass globe does not soot up, and the light does not flicker or blow out. Sheesh!

See what I mean:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...053&style=B

-Goldmember

Has read The Fountainhead too many times