High Desert Forum? What's going on over there ...

• Admin

Hello All,

I received a couple PM's and emails about this "HighDesertForum." :huh: I don't have a direct link, so if anyone has one, please feel free to post it here.

Heard there is a lot of Highgrading talk. :(

Also heard they are claiming the Minelab Commander coils are better than any NF or Coiltek coil? :rolleyes:

Would like to see the writing in person ....

Rob Allison

Hello All,

I received a couple PM's and emails about this "HighDesertForum." :huh: I don't have a direct link, so if anyone has one, please feel free to post it here.

Heard there is a lot of Highgrading talk. :(

Also heard they are claiming the Minelab Commander coils are better than any NF or Coiltek coil? :rolleyes:

Would like to see the writing in person ....

Rob Allison

Rob the only address I have came from their post... Try: highdesertgold.myfreeforum.org

bandana Don

Dear group;

As an aside pertaining to the ML Commander line of coils, I have two, the 15X12 mono and the 8" round mono so I can pretty well attest to the Commanders' performance.

First, the 15X12 mono is a decent coil, but not definitely outstanding by any stretch of the imagination. It's a extremely quiet coil, in fact it's the quietest mono in my coil arsenal mono, however it's my least sensitive mono coil as well. It seems to get a bit more depth on my GP3000 than it does on my SD2100. It's also built like a tank. It's much heavier and more wieldy than my Wallaby DD Pro. In fact, I'd say that the preformance specs of the 12X15 mono and the Wallaby DD Pro are about the same, with much more sensitivity given to the Wallaby and a quieter signal given to the 12X15 mono.

There's nothing bad that I can say about the ML 8" round mono. It's a fantastic little loop and it is uber-sensitive. The 10X5 Joey mono equals it in sensitivity and it's strictly a coin toss which one of the two is more sensitive. The Joey mono wins as my all time fave small mono though, because of it's narrow shape and somewhat lighter build than the ML 8 mono. I find that because of the oblong shape of the little Joey, it can get into some really tight spots and it's much easier to manuver around boulders and tree roots, where those tiny nuggets like to hide at. It performs exceptionally well on both my SD2100 and GP3K with a sensitivity advantage being given to the GP3K.

My all around favorite coil is the Coiltek 14' round mono and mated with my SD2100 and the PocketRocket it's an awesome combo! Great depth coupled with decent sensitivity means that I don't leave anything but the smallest bits behind. I feel that Minelab manufactured it's Commander coil line with a heavy emphasis on they being super quiet, to the point of sacrificing depth and to an even larger degree, sensitivity.

I don't know anything about NuggetFinder coils as I don't own one and with my current quiver of coils I really don't feel that I need one.

Your friend;

LAMAR

Hey Lamar

I have the CT Joey and 14" round mono and love both of them. I prefer them over the minelab coil that came with the 4000, I have a platypus dd and a 12x24 ufo that are for sale, can't use the 12x24 because of my new knee and I want to get the mono platy in place of the dd, but I have heard some good things about the 8" commander and was wondering if I really needed one in my bag.

Allen in MT

Dear Allen;

I also possess the Platypus DD and it's a superb coil although I will admit that I mostly use it around watercourses to detect for waterborne nuggets and I seldom use it for dry land detecting. At first, I thought that the Platypus was a bit dull in the sensitivity department, then I realized that it's the water that the coil has to *see* through that dulls the signal a bit and it's not the coil at all. On dry land it's a very sensitive coil with good depth for it's little size.

If you own a Joey mono then you'll be disappointed with the ML 8" mono as both coils are identical in performance, IMHO. If your existing Joey is a DD Pro coil then I'd suggest the purchase of the Joey mono instead of the ML 8" mono. The Joey is lighter and much more manuverable.

I've never used a UFO since it's a large coil and where I detect at is clogged with undergrowth and this makes working with a large coil very difficult, especially an open spoked one. I very seldom am able to use my CTK 18" mono although I'd love to be able to use it more often. The 14" round is a great compromise between the large mono and the smaller 11" round mono, and it's the CTK 14" mono that sees the most use as a mid-sized coil on my SD2100. On my GP3K the Wallaby DD Pro is a hands-down winner. For smaller coils, I prefer the Joey mono on my SD2100 and the joey DD Pro on my GP3K.

Your friend;

LAMAR

REX quick question here. Why is that when someone post some gold would you say makes you wonder? There is alot of gold out there and to discredit someone for finding it is unfair. Funny thing is before I ever found a piece of gold detecting I had seen alot people with gold they said they found detecting and I had my doubts. It was inexperience that led me to believe that. I know you can find gold detecting. Especially with a Minelab. If you haven't the had oppertunity yet I hope you can find a big one some day.

Dear group;

I think I've figured out why the group on the High Desert forum seems to be so pumped about the ML Commander coil line and many members of that forum seem to feel, some of us might say wrongly, that the Coiltek and NF coil lines are inferior to the Commanders. The reason may be because the High Desert forum admin is a Minelab dealer and he doesn't have either a Coiltek or Nugget Finder dealer agreement. I do not know for certain if this is true or not, but it would explain a lot. :rolleyes:

Your friend;

LAMAR

• Admin

Hello Matt,

I really don't know much about those guys besides a few have purchased products from me in the past. I know Chip is a Minelab dealers, but not sure if he is a Nuggetfinder or Coiltek dealer. I would think he is loosing business by not taking advantage of the aftermarket searchcoils. There is no doubt, the aftermarket coils sell at least 10:1 vs. the Minelab Commander coils.

Take care,

Rob Allison

a few of those guys are not very happy with me as when i started my forums originally, thats all several people wanted to do is bicker. we don't go for any of that at my place and they ended up getting warned/banned, and then continued to sign up time and time again under different user names (using the same email and IP address....go figure).....when it ( the forums your talking about) first opened i was invited by chip to come over and check it out and i got hammered first thing so i respectfully backed out and havent been back since. ive got enough problems watching the knottheads out there off my own forums let alone deal with someone else aditude..lol..i dont know for certain, but i dont believe chips a dealer for either brand. he might be though, i just dont personally know.

I haven't used a wide variety of coils, but ive used an older coiltek (i cant for the life of me remeber the size, but it was a larger semi-elliptical) and the commander coils. i have a commander 15x12 semi-elliptical mono and an 11 mono, and they both work great in my opinion. the commander 12x15 mono seems pretty stable and sensitive on my GP3500, but i can intelligently comment on the other brands as i haven't had the oprotunity to use them. i think a few of the guys on my forums own both brands ( nuggetfinder and coiltek) .i do however own a coiltek lithium ion battery system and love it. i cant understand why minelab made there battery systems so gamn big when the smaller lithium ion system works so damn well myself

maybe ill have a couple of the guys post in the dealer reviews section there opinion of them, ive never heard any knocks on them on my forums.

feel free to post an ad for them in the for sale section rob. if i can ever get around to it, im going to put up a section specifically for dealers to advertise, and your welcome to (advertise) anytime...

John

AKA

Nuggetdigger

Administrator

www.HuntingForGold.net

www.Nuggetdigger.com

• Admin

Hello Guys,

Nuggetdigger - I will have to come over and visit your forum. Thanks for the heads-up on the dealer based section. Really don't know any of that "HighDesertForum" group, so can't judge them on rumors and hear-say. Can only wish them the best.

Grubstake - I know you hunted with Ray Mills and I have a lot of respect for Ray. He has invited me out several times and couldn't take him up on the offer. I would love to visit those goldfields sometime in the future, but it's such a long way from home. :(

The whole talk about Commander coils being better .... well ....

The only comment I have is to use what you think is the best and keep an open mind on all products. Testing and experimentation is the best method to find the best for you (which might not be the best for others). ;)

Take care,

Rob Allison

REX quick question here. Why is that when someone post some gold would you say makes you wonder? There is alot of gold out there and to discredit someone for finding it is unfair. Funny thing is before I ever found a piece of gold detecting I had seen alot people with gold they said they found detecting and I had my doubts. It was inexperience that led me to believe that. I know you can find gold detecting. Especially with a Minelab. If you haven't the had oppertunity yet I hope you can find a big one some day.

1dredger,

I will say, as I said in my last post, that in and of itself (it being a huge nugget) does not mean it was highgraded. I don't think I'm discrediting them, but I do wonder, mainly because of some things I have heard. Since I have no first hand knowledge I must refrain from assuming things, since that leads down the path of falsehood, but truth is I do wonder.