Threshold

When I was running the SD 2200 I lerned to trun my threshold up higher than the manual suggested.This helped to stabilize the detector and I was also able to work closer to other operators without much interference.

Then I got a GPX4000 witch I have only ran for about 10 hours.I'm running the volume at 40 and the thereshold very low.Should I turn up the thereshold? Or is this the way you guys run it on the 4000?

This and the detector set at smooth/quiet/slow/and gain of 10 has allowed me to pick up gold at 3 grains 2 to 3 inches down with the playpus mono coil.

Take care,Matt

• Admin

Hello Matt,

Keep in mind that everyone's hearing is a little bit different. What I do is back down the threshold to where you don't hear anything at all. Then I will slowly bring the threshold back up to where I can hear just a low, steady smooth threshold.

If you run your threshold too high or too low you will miss faint targets.

Wishing you the best,

Rob Allison

Rob,

That looks like a better way of establishing the threshold.

My suggestion, as you alluded to, is good for my hearing level.

Matt,

I think the deal is that you get the threshold where it is faint and steady

so you can hear a slight steady tone. After that, if you have an amp,

you bring up the volume so it's comfortable.

Some people (like Montana), like their threshold very faint, almost inaudible.

Others (like JP), like it more audible.

Dial threshold to suit taste, just don't make it so loud that it will have faint signals

lost in the threshold tone.

Good luck Matt!

Flak

I was having a tough time with the sound output levels on my GPX until I hot the DeTacc amp and speaker. In the summer the headphones are too much for me to take and the amp's speaker is great so sound clarity is no problem...

Now with the amp the threshold is perfect and I can hear the subtle variations for the faint targets, something about the speaker over the headphones. But, I like others have some issues when the wind kicks up or if hunting near white water, but other than that I have no complaints with the product.

I used a test nugget at first just to see where I would miss the target with a too high and too low threshold setting. I have found it to be very different than my turf machine, you need a decent threshold to find the deep/small stuff on the PI machines...

FYI, with the amp the threshold setting is different than the headphone threshold setting...

As the pros say, test, test, test... ;)

HH

JW