A question about conditions...

I often hunt below volcanic caps in dry and active riverbeds that contain lots of black & hot rocks.

I am aware that there is small gold in these areas but I have had no luck in getting to it...

Running the GPX, with DeTacc amp & speaker combo, have a 8" round mono ML coil and a Joey DD coil, larger coils as well, but for the riverbeds I stick with the smaller coils for getting between rocks and stuff.

My question is, in the presence of hot rocks and while looking for small gold it is good to run mono coil in sensitive to avoid the hot rocks, or is it better to run a DD coil in normal.

I realize i'm leaving out options and so my question is also, in this situation, with hot rocks, what is the way to go, tune out the hot stuff with coil selection or use the machines functions to tune out hot stuff.

If I run a mono coil in normal I get a hot rock every foot or two, too many to dig and larger ones make it tough to hunt around and under, like hunting next to a steel pole in the ground...

Thanks!!

JW

I often hunt below volcanic caps in dry and active riverbeds that contain lots of black & hot rocks.

I am aware that there is small gold in these areas but I have had no luck in getting to it...

Running the GPX, with DeTacc amp & speaker combo, have a 8" round mono ML coil and a Joey DD coil, larger coils as well, but for the riverbeds I stick with the smaller coils for getting between rocks and stuff.

My question is, in the presence of hot rocks and while looking for small gold it is good to run mono coil in sensitive to avoid the hot rocks, or is it better to run a DD coil in normal.

I realize i'm leaving out options and so my question is also, in this situation, with hot rocks, what is the way to go, tune out the hot stuff with coil selection or use the machines functions to tune out hot stuff.

If I run a mono coil in normal I get a hot rock every foot or two, too many to dig and larger ones make it tough to hunt around and under, like hunting next to a steel pole in the ground...

Thanks!!

JW

G'day JW, I assume you mean the GPX 4000 and not the GP extreme? On small gold I feel the GPX 4000 running in Smooth mode with a monoloop coil (accessed by the Sensitive switch on the front end cap and then selecting Smth in the Sensitive menu) will provide better signal response and depth over a DD coil especially in the conditions you describe, however like all things it pays to experiment so to that end I would advise you to try a DD coil in Sensitive Xtra and DD mode and also Mono mode (just be aware you will experience a few ground noises and hot rocks this way). A DD coil in DD mode will cancel out a fair few of the pesky hot rocks and ground noises but not as efficiently as Smooth mode will. Xtra mode is the same timings as the old Sensitive switch position on the GP series were the recieve circuit is switched on at an earlier stage to catch the eddie currents of small nuggets however it also allows more ground noise through. Choosing to use Mono mode with a DD converts your DD coil into a psuedo monoloop where the left winding transmits as per normal but then the receive is across the whole coil similar to a monoloop which gives a brighter/sharper signal response compared to DD mode.

Hope this helps

JP

• Admin

Hello JW,

I would have to agree with the settings J. Porter stated. The Sensitive/Smooth mode is awesome on the GPX-4000 in hot ground or ground mixed with various volcanic or iron stone rocks.

I love the Sensitive/Smooth mode on moderate to hot ground, but prefer Normal/Deep mode if I can get away with it.

The "Quiet" Audio makes your GPX-4000 run so smooth, but you might loose a bit of depth. However, sometimes I think you can make up the lost depth running a higher gain.

One great thing about the GPX-4000 is the various setting controls you have.

Take care,

Rob Allison