New guy on the block

Hello all. I just bought a Garrett ace 250 this weekend and I went out to try it out. I got interested in Metal detecting while watching the travel channel. Only problem is. I have no clue where to go look and how to fully understand this tool. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I would join a club but I am in the army so I will be leaving Phoenix here very shortly and heading to San Antonio for my next duty station. any ideas of where I should go hunting?

P.S.

Gold is all great and things but would rather find old things from the past.

SSG Q

Welcome aboard, SSG Q. You've got a great little beeper there. Do you have the stock coil only or did you get the larger coil?

As far as where to go, just to get some practice in, head over to a kiddie playground and do some practice detecting there. I find under monkey bars especially good, slides next, then swings, then the open ground. Also, parks are a great place. As far as where to go, the standard answer is "Anywhere folks used to get together" which could be a town park, church, party place, or something like that. As far as finding old stuff, good luck. It took me a couple of years to find my first silver coin. But now I've got another.....plus a small gold ring, a couple of silver rings...you get the idea.

Last piece of advice......your beeper ain't gonna find a darn thing sittin' at the house!! LOL

Good luck.

Kajun

SSG Q

When you get to San Antonio you just give me a call and I'll point you out in the right direction. :rolleyes:

Send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number.

You can hunt most schools but stay out of the parks but I do think you may get a permit to hunt. I just don't care to do so.

I've got that same detector the Ace 250 for my Grandson but haven't got with him yet.

Best To You!

Chuck Anders

Welcome aboard, SSG Q. You've got a great little beeper there. Do you have the stock coil only or did you get the larger coil?

Last piece of advice......your beeper ain't gonna find a darn thing sittin' at the house!! LOL

Good luck.

Kajun

Thnx TXKajun! Yeah it just came with the basic coil. Playgrounds huh? and parks? sounds good to me. do I or should I get permission from the city? or am I allowed to just go? I live in El mirage so dont know how phoenix acts to it... I hear ya on just sitting in the house lol that wont be happening atleast not anytime soon!

OOOPS just read Ridge Runners post....ok will see about the city statutes on the parks. Thank you all for the tips. lets hope I can post something here that is worth while.....hahaha a penny is worth while to me lol it helps to earn its money back lol. Oh and I will let yall know how things go for me on monday. I am heading up towards congress. found a road just past it near the bradshaw mountains that has nothing but blacksand there...ofcourse dont know if that is good but someone told me where there is blacksand there is gold. hmmmm will see. and I will get with oyu ridge runner once it gets closer to me getting to SA. I go to MI school here in july thru November and my report date is end of december.... I dont wanna lose the number hahaha my wife puts all my stuff where she thinks it should go hahahaha

Yeah I forgot to post here also lol..... I went out....didnt realize that the ace 250 doesnt pick up nuggets. luckily some folks came along with their nuggets nand let me see what a nugget look like...and they let me use my detector on them.......DANG ACE 250! doesnt beep off gold lol......so......looks Like i will be coin shooting only until I get the money up for a minelab is what they told me to look at!.....BUT!!! I had a great time out there. found Rich Hill and stanton and my dad and I were out there all day metal detecting and also panning ......was a great day no wife to yell at me or anything hahahaha. was beautiful country up there...oh well I am not discouraged by it though. actually I am lookin forward towards my next day out...but will hit a ghost town next time!

• 9 months later...
Yeah I forgot to post here also lol..... I went out....didnt realize that the ace 250 doesnt pick up nuggets. luckily some folks came along with their nuggets nand let me see what a nugget look like...and they let me use my detector on them.......DANG ACE 250! doesnt beep off gold lol......so......looks Like i will be coin shooting only until I get the money up for a minelab is what they told me to look at!.....BUT!!! I had a great time out there. found Rich Hill and stanton and my dad and I were out there all day metal detecting and also panning ......was a great day no wife to yell at me or anything hahahaha. was beautiful country up there...oh well I am not discouraged by it though. actually I am lookin forward towards my next day out...but will hit a ghost town next time!

I too am new to this metal detecting. I have a white's MXT. Asking for help in understanding this thing . I am in southern Ca. Bakersfield to be exact. I don't know if this detector is good for hunting gold or not. any help would be appreciated. Thanks!