Rich Hill

Well went out today at rich hill to see how well the ace 250 works for nugget hunting....Yeah that is a no go hahahahaha. Had some people stop by to say hello to me and showed me what a nugget looks like since I am new to prospecting...well they put their nuggets under my ace 250 and not even a single hey dumb@ss we are right here...so back to the drawing board for me. but they said the ace 250 works better for coins...just not gold hahaha. well i will keep yall upto date on this newbie tryin things out

I have never used the ACE 250 so I can't give you specific instructions but I will offer generall advice regarding VLF's and thier use for nugget hunting.

First, I am assuming you were using the discrimination mode. If so, gold nuggets are very low or poor conductors. A nickel will indicate somewhat similar to a 1/4 oz nugget, so that gives you an idea of their conductivity. As such, much smaller nuggets will cause a response down in the tinfoil or less range at best when using the disc mode.

The best mode to use on a VLF is the all metal mode and dig everything. If you have to use the discrimination mode because of no way to easily use the all metal mode, set the disc for the minimum disc setting and use that.

You can get an idea of what smaller nuggets will respond like by using a small piece of lead, such as a piece of a lead off a 22 shell. A small sinker will work fine also, such as a split shot.

Don't feel embarassed or discouraged. Most people just getting started do not know just how nuggets will respond and as such, they ususally make similar mistakes. Many people think that since gold is used on electronic parts, it must be a great conductor and will act much like silver. Unfortunately, that is not the case or the reason it is used on electronic equpment. Gold does not tarnish so critical connections are plated with gold to assure a reliable contact. Also, the gold plating is extremely thin so it causes no ill effects.

I hope this helps get you started.

Reg

Thanks Yall! Yeah I scanned the nuggets the lady had and it didnt even beep or register so I figure they were too small to be picked up.....but also the ground was beeping all the time so I switched it so where it only picks up certain items but it still beeped on items that I had to discriminate against so I dont know how to figure that out.... I guess I will just have to keep using it to learn it inside and out. also does anyone have an idea why when i lift the detector away from the ground it beeps crazy? like when i lift it in the air it goes off like it hit metal everywhere. oh well.....

Oh and Yes it worked on coins...and nails...and also an old tin lid for "orteca" whatever that is...just thought it was trash so discarded it

I also have an Ace 250. It's not going to find nuggets unless they are fairly big and not too deep. The ground balance is fixed on the 250 and when you get into highly mineralized ground, they just don't work as well as a detector designed to find gold that has adjustable ground balance. The sounding off is most likely due to the ground balance problem. If your really serious, try to find a used Minelab detector. No reason not to hunt with the 250 if you want to. Just use all metal mode and be ready to dig a lot of junk. Who knows, you might just get a big nugget under the coil and be smiling from ear to ear.

The Ace 250 is designed more as an entry level coin and relic shooter. It's one heck of a deal when it comes to locating those type of items. I've kept mine so that if a friend wants to go coin shooting and does not have a detector, I loan him my 250.

Best regards, John K

• Admin

Hello Guys,

I'm not sure the "Ace" will even find a Dwt nugget right on the surface. I know several Minelab dealers were pushing the X-Terra 30 & 50's as gold nugget hunting metal detectors. :angry: I actually ran into one of these guys hunting around Turkey Creek. He was using the X-50 and hunting exposed bedrock. I felt bad once he mentioned the dealer told him this unit would find small gold nuggets. :huh:

Take care,

Rob Allison

No Sir Nuggethunting...

I was not on any claims... I wish i had a membership but I dont think clubs will let me pay on a month by month basis since I am leaving AZ shortly. also no the ace I have I paid for in full. I wasnt on rich hill anyways. I was down a ways from there....But I did run into some folks from 24k club and they offered me great advice and they are the ones who let me use thier nuggets to see if it beeps on my ace and it didnt. so ohwell. but yes I am most definitely going to keep the ace because of coins shooting I know in texas there is more history and more abundant there. not so spread out that is

• Admin

Hello Guys,

SSGQ - I was just curious since I seen a guy down around the pushes with an Ace Metal Detector. I heard he was having trouble keeping the unit balanced.

Nathan - Most, if not all the public land around Rich Hill is claimed. You might consider a club to access some of the areas around Rich Hill. The Roadrunner's, LDMA, GPAA, Weaver & 24K Gold Hunters Club all have decent claims in the area.

Take care,

Rob Allison