What's wrong with this picture?

Hi,

I'm going to try to include a picture of the two coils that came with my Infinium detector. I bought this on eBay with two coils and two lower shafts exactly the way they are shown here. According to the old man who sold me my first detector, they should be wound like the DD coil on the left. Is there any reason why they might be wound like the mono coil on the right, or does it even matter. I seem to be having the same type of problems as MedicDan a little further down with my mono coil only and I'm hoping it might be due to this.

TIA,

Carl

Carl; there was much discussion about how to run the coil wire some time back...there may be some difference on small coils but it probably matters more on the real big coils...I am not an expert but a wire produces a magnetic field when current flows through it and wrapping a coil round and round probably increases that effect...oh, Reg, help!!! where are you now???

I leave a little slack for the coil to move, run the wire straight to the end of the lower rod then wrap the wire the rest of the way...keeping movement out of the wire is the most important aspect...to avoid false signals.

Fred

It is best to run your coil wire straight up the shaft as fred says tapeing it in a few places so there is no movement but leave a little slack so you coil will go flat when it is on the ground then after starting up the wpper shaft wrap it and if need be tape it to hold it secure and you will never have any problems with false signals.

Ron

• Admin

Hello Carl,

Everyone gave you some great advice. It's always best to keep the searchcoil cable away from the searchcoil as best as possible. I run mine straight up the lower shaft and then start wrapping at the the junction of the two shafts (lower meets upper).

Standard electrical tape has always work good for securing the cable to the shaft.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hi Guys,

I've been out for a few days, but I see I got the info I needed. I bought my first detector (ACE Tracker) from an old man here in Orange, TX who told me to wrap the coil wire out of the coil, over the shaft in a clockwise rotation looking at the coil from the control end. However, this was an Ace Tracker, not an Infinium with a sensitive mono coil. I see now what you guys mean by keeping the wire as far from the coil as possible,then winding it on the second shaft. I will do that over the next couple days when I get a chance, then test it down at the beach to see if it quits the false signals. I'm sure it will. I'll use tape like everyone suggested to keep the coil wire stable.

When winding on the second shaft, do you need to keep the wire fairly taught when winding, or is somewhat loose OK? How about any special considerations where the wire goes into the control box? I appreciate all your help.

Thanks,

Carl

• Admin

Hello Carl,

It's sometimes impossible to get a "perfect" wrap, but the tighter is better for less change of falsing. You will have some slack at the bottom and towards the top where the searchcoil cable will enter the control box. Sometimes it takes a couple of times to get a good wrap from the bottom to top, but you don't have to be perfect.

Also, from time to time pop off your searchcoil cover and clean it out and keep all your connections nice and snug.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison