Tried out the Goldstalker

I ruined my old favorite coil the Mini UFO. Apparently they weren't designed to be run over by a quad, long story sad ending for the coil. So, I ordered the new Goldstalker (12"x18") from Rob and it was delivered on Tue. Took it out for a test drive today in the Dale on my outdated GP 4000. Found one 1.5 gram piece, really rough and jagged, couldn't find the rest of his kin though. It was only down about 4 or 5 inches, immediately had good crisp tone. Once I pulled the dirt out of the hole and ran the coil over it, it screamed. The tone was so strong I was sure it must be a piece of iron junk or a bullet fragment. I was really surprised that a piece that small had such a powerful tone. The most amazing thing about this coil is that it just won't false when striking the ground, bushes etc. My old Coiltek round mono 14" was about to drive me crazy because it was so bump sensitive. Couldn't really get back under the bushes and into nooks and crannies because it falsed so much. My head and ears were wearing out way before the day was over. The Goldstalker really has that solved and my eardrums certainly appreciate it.

Ran into a pretty nasty looking "snattle rake", he buzzed just as I saw him out of the corner of my eye. Don't know if he was a Mohave or not, certainly not a typical diamond back. Short and thick with a really wide head. He was out sunning and his body temp was still a little low, so he wasn't very active. He wouldn't strike at the coil and I lifted him right up using the Goldstalker, keeping plenty of distance between me and his business end. Left him there to sun, so watch your step out there in the Dale.

• Admin

Hello Steve,

There has been a lot of great feedback and some amazing gold found with the new coils, but many are keeping it secret for now. Wish I would tell you about some of the new California finds, but the finders asked me to keep it secret.

I'm going to give the new Coiltek Goldstalker 18.5-inch elliptical mono a run on my new GPX-4500 this weekend if possible. Have some old patches to try the new coil and detector on.

Great to hear about your success with the new coil. Thanks for sharing.

Rob Allison