Gave It An Acid Bath

I found this nugget last year, and before any cleaning was done It weighed in at 110 grams.

After soaking it in CLR, Lime away, and scrubbing it several times with a toothbrush it weighed 93 grams.

This piece has broken out of a rich vein and not traveled very far. The host rock is not very pretty and it has dulled the appearance of this nugget. I had always wanted to use Hydrofluoric acid on it, but after reading all the warnings, side affects, and scary things affiliated with the highly toxic stuff I have stayed away from it.

Then a good friend of mine, Mark M. told me about a product that you can buy at hardware stores called WINK.

It is actually used for the removal of rust stains, and contains a very diluted solution of 1-3% hydrofluoric acid.

He told me it would take some time, but it works.... He was right.

This stuff is still very lethal, and if used should be handled with care.

After 6 weeks of soaking it, 99% of the rock has been dissolved away, leaving me with a beautiful crystalline nugget, now weighing 84 grams.

There was also a smaller 2.5 gram nugget I found right next to it that fits perfectly. I was thinking about gluing it, or maybe even having a jeweler soder it back in place.

Happy hunting everyone, Wish I could get out. I have been trapped in town for the past couple of months.

Gus-

• Admin

Hello Gus,

Great before and after shot. One beautiful gold nugget you have there.

I've found a couple of specimens that have some ugly host rock or even rotten looking quartz, so I might try some of that solution on mine in the future.

I'm in the same boat, working a lot of hours right now. Wish I could get out more and play with the new GPX-4500.

Wishing you the best out there,

Rob Allison

Hey Guys, thanks for you comments.

Yeah I kind of thought it might be silly to try and connect the smaller piece back in, but it really makes the nugget look more complete with it in there. I will leave it be for now. :P

Gus-