A few questions for SD2100 users

Hi everyone, I just picked up one of the old army green SD2100's for an excellent price. I'm planning on sending the control box into Minelab USA to get it checked out (just to be on the safe side) and it looks like everything on it is pretty much ok except for the battery (dead) and power block adapter. Since I have to replace the battery and power block adapter anyway, I figure I might as well enhance it a little bit by getting one of the SD Voltage Regulators and step the voltage down from 12V to 7.3 volts.

My question is, what type of 12V battery should I get for this? 12V 7.2A? Can I get a battery with the same voltage and higher amp rating or is this a bad idea?

Also, any performance mods that anyone knows of for the SD2100?

Not sure about all this because I normally use a 4000. The only reason I bought it was because it was a steal and I figured I could make it a project and use it as a back up detector.

Also- any tips on how to "effectively" use this machine?

Thanks in advance!

Del

Del,

I think the Pocket Rocket System is made for the SD machines and the GP series. If I was going to buy an aftermarket battery, that is the best. I don't know about mods since I have never used an SD, but check out the pinned topics at the top of the forum for info on the Pocket Rocket batteries. Take care.

Cheers,

Matt

Here's what I run on my sd2100---and it works really great--- First, absolutely get the PocketRocket set up...Don't even think about anything else. Second, get a coiltek signal amplifier. Third, get yourself a set of Black Widow headphones. That's it. I usually run the Nuggetfinder 14 E Mono, (although I think mine's finally going south on me--I hope Ican get it fixed, cause I've found many ounces of gold with it, from subgrain to ozt+ ....Those are my recommendations. That's setup that consistantly produces gold for me provided I have the right attitude and put the coil over the gold... :rolleyes: Cheers, Yer 2100 runnin' Unc in the Dubyah

Thanks for the input guys! Yeah Ron that 7" x 14" NF coil is my favorite too because it works great for meteorites as well as gold. I popped out a good size deep meteorite this weekend with it. Everytime I take it out it always ceases to amaze me.

Del

• Admin

Hello Del,

The old SD2100's are great detectors. There are several options with an SD.

(1) Detacc makes a step-up regulator that can be attached to side of the metal detector. However, you need the stock lead-acid Minelab battery to power it. The regulator is very light and the same size as one of the Detacc amps that you attach to the side of the metal detector. The Detacc step-up regulator will take the stock voltage of 6v and increase it to 7.2-7.3 volts.

(2) This is probably the most popular option, the new Coiltek Li-Ion Pocket Rocket system. This unit can be used on any SD/GP series. The entire system is only 14-15 ounces an can be mounted to the side of the metal detector. The unit comes with an adjustable regulator, short power cord, (2) 7800mah Li-Ion batteries, Wall/Car charger & Carry Pouch.

With this system you ellimate any type of backpack or hanging power cord.

If you want to increase performance even more, you can get a Detacc Signal Amp and DetectorPro Headphones. I sell all these items and they all are hot sellers like Uncle Ron stated.

I also highly suggest a good Monoloop on the SD's like you already have.

Take care,

Rob Allison