Backup Accessories for your Minelab Metal Detector

• Admin

Hello All,

I thought I would post a list of backup accessories I try to carry with me at all times. Unlike this weekend, where I forgot my headphones and was unable to hunt. I also posted a short video clip below for anyone that wants to see some of the items I'm talking about. Keep in mind, this list is geared more towards the Minelab Pulse Induction metal detectors.

Backup List for Minelab Metal Detectors -

(1) Headphones or External Speaker

(2) Stock Battery or Coiltek Pocket Rocket System

(3) Coiltek Regulator (if you're only using the Coiltek system and not the stock battery)

(4) Power Cord (Minelab or Coiltek), Short Cord for Coiltek Li-Ion System

(5) Lower Shaft (Minelab or Otto)

(6) Searchcoil

(7) Minelab Handle (basic or one with ground balance button)

(8) Nylon Nuts & Bolts (1.5 & 2-inch)

(9) Teardrop Washers for Lower Shaft

(10) Plastic Nugget Scoop

(11) Basic Tools or Leatherman

(12) Electrical Tape

Short Video Clip -

If anyone can think of other items that are important for detecting, please post them here. I'm more interested in things that are needed to detect.

Take care,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Steve,

I knew I was forgetting something. A backup detector is always helpful if your main detector goes down. I used to have a GPX-4000 backing up my GPX-4500, but now I don't have anything besides a Eureka Gold.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Yep ROB, almost the same thing happen on Sheps and my hunt today, My reuglator on the pocket rocket, kind of took a dump. it ran down two batteries 7800mah in about 2 minites. not sure whats going on. I changed the short power cords, even put on different headphones, . Regulator would cut in and out. I hate to go back to the heavy lead batteries. but I still have one 4ah small one. I should have taken it along. but its a long climb up that hill when you got to walk. Grubstake

• Admin

Hey Grubstake,

Today Dennis and I took several new GPX-4500 customers out. Man, talk about freaking hot out here now!

Last night I went through all my accessories and made sure my backup accessory bag was up to date and I have at least one spare of everything. It's always good to turn on your metal detector before you start hiking off too far. I've hiked for a mile or two before and then turned on the detector to realize something was broke or not working right. A long hike back and I could have caught the problem at the truck. Always test your metal detector and accessories before you take off.

Sorry to hear about your regulator. Do you know if it's still under warranty?

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob and all, As you know I have a small hard side suitcase that I always take out with me (well almost always) I did forget the whole damn case recently :spank: but fortunately It was on a short trip out to Rich Hill but like you ended up using a cheesy borrowed headphones and ended up finding nothing in one of my favorite almost never miss patches. that sort of thing really messes with your confidence factor also. :girl: you've seen my case , spare everything, batteries,coils,12v soldering iron for those trips way out back. nugget bottle,bug repellent, detector parts, plugs,disposable rain coat, spare inline preamp sound mixer, woops let that one slip out. the list goes on. but unfortunately I don't like to store it in my truck, too hot in the summer. Btw 550 miles= two tanks of gas in your truck? humm That remindes me I also carry a lot of old spare truck parts that Ive replaced with new ones, belts, hoses, battery. 12v tire pump etc. New spares are better, but old ones are better than none. that little trick has got me out of a few jams in Mexico and the outback of Nevada. Take care AzNuggetBob

• Admin

Hey Bob,

I felt the same way with the Koss UR-40's that I purchased from Radio Shack. They didn't block the outside noise worth a crap and were only like 60 ohms. I'm used to by Black Widow's that are 100+ ohms (must great and cleaner audio).

Speaking of vehicle accessories, we can talk about that also. I have a large tote that I carry when I'm going on trips. I have some spare parts and belts, oil, tow rope, flashlights, toilet paper, backpack, air compressor, lighter and lighter fluid, couple of small jacks, medium Craftsman tool kit, hammer, battery jump box, blanket and other minor accesories. I also carry my work tools along just in case.

I also have a good shovel, pick and large Railroad prybar.

You just never know when you might need these things. Normally it when you don't bring them!

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison