SD2000 Coils

Hello everyone,

I'm a newb here and am planning a trip to Arizona for a couple weeks in 2-4 months depending on my work schedule. Am curious as to what coils are recommended for the Bradshaws and Rich Hill (DD, Mono or both). Any suggestions would be appreciated to eliminate trial and error hunting. I have more ?'s but I'll start with this one.

Thanks

Tony

I'd answer that, but thats one detector, I've never had in my hands. Uncle Ron runs a 2100, he might be able to help you on that. I ran a 2100 for about a week as a loaner, There not that hard, manual ground balance, I am pretty sure so is the 2000, so they should be in the same ball-park. Grubstake

• Admin

Hello BF750,

I ran the Minelab SD2000 for several years back in the early to mid 90's here in Arizona. One great thing about the SD2000 is it's "mineral immunity." I believe this has to do with two things, (1) Pulse Induction Technology & (2) A Lesser Sensitivity vs. other SD/GP series.

I ran a Mono everywhere in Arizona, even over ironstone patches. Using a DD on a SD2000 in my opinion would be a be sacrafice to sensitivity and depth. With the SD2000 you want to gain everything you can, so a Monoloop searchcoil gives you a bit more depth and sensitivity.

With a small Monoloop Searchcoil and having no mods on the SD2000, the smallest gold nugget I could find near or at the surface was around 4-5 grains. I used the Minelab 8-inch Round Mono mostly, as at that time the Coiltek Joey Mono wasn't available.

Looking forward to hearing more of your questions. Hope we were able to answer some of them so far.

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello BF750,

What mods did you have done to the SD2000?

Yes, I think the new Coiltek Lightweight Goldstalkers would be a good choice if you're looking for mono coils right now. Coiltek is also in the process of making these lightweight Goldstalkers in bigger ellipticals and rounds in the near future.

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Hello BF750,

What mods did you have done to the SD2000?

For the right price on those new fangled coils I just might let you try it when I come out there :lol: (just kidding) I have multi frequency and changed some chips inside making it a lot more sensitive. Yes you are more than welcome to try it when I come out.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mike C...

Hi Tony--who did the modds on your 2000 and what modds did you get done ???I use to have a 2000 and sent it to finders in AU and got the audio and sensitivity modds done and what a difference it made-I found that after I had them done that small coils were way to sensitive and DD's did not work worth a crap on it but the bigger monos like the 14 and the 18 worked really well with it-nice and smooth in bad ground-I wish I still had it because theres still a few areas where my 4000 struggles in and the 2000 just purred right through them :blink: -Mike C... :ph34r:

Hello Mike,

My brother in law helped me do the mods, he works for ABC in New York city in the electronics dept. We didn't reinvent the wheel, just followed the mods done on other forums. I have multi frequency like finders for sensitivity but also have a low frequecy for going deep and it goes DDEEEEEPPPP. I have changed 1 of the IC chips plus changed a few of the fets which lower noise and increase depth and sensitivity. All of the parts were less than $20.00. I wouldn't trade it for any other detector.

Tony