Sunday's Motherload Trip

Made it out Sunday with a fellow forum member to hunt for some nuggets. We went to two spots and we both scored some gold. I was using my updated GPX4500 and he was using a GP3000. The first spot we hit gave up five pieces of gold. I got 4 dinks for .9 of a pennyweight and he got 1 nugget around a pennyweight. One of the dinks was a nice piece of wire gold. The second spot we hit gave up four nuggets. We both got 2 nuggets. My nuggets were 1.5 dwt. and .4 dwt. and his 2 totaled about 1.5 dwt. For the day, my total was 2.8 pennyweight and his total was 2.5 pennyweight. The picture shows the 6 pieces that I got. On the right are the dinks from spot 1 and the left are the nuggets from spot 2.

The updated GPX4500 ran much better than it did before the update, but I never got it to run as quiet as the GPX4000. The threshold just never really got to the point I was hoping for. There were also a lot of false signals. Hopefully more time with it and making adjustments will quiet it down to the same level I got so used to with the GPX4000. I was able to pick up the dinks with it so the sensitivity was still there.

The last target I dug for the day was in a spot that had just been detected with the 3000 and a nugget had been dug. I heard a faint target and started to dig. About a foot down, the target was screaming and we both thought this was going to be a big nugget. The bottom of the hole was decomposed schist and clay that made us both sure it had to be a nugget. Out of the hole came some red clay and the target was out with it. Unfortunately, the red clump of clay turned out to be a rusted piece of iron. You never know what you are going to find.

It was a great day out hunting in the Motherload and I can’t wait to get out again. It was hot, but when the nuggets are coming out of the ground it makes bearing the heat worth it. Next time we will probably bring a case of water. Take care.

Cheers,

matt

Thanks wes. I love diggin' up nuggets! The picture does not do the biggets nugget any justice. It is a beauty! It has some some triangular formations in it and is a sort of tear drop shape. It does not look like it in the picture, but the big nugget weighs more than the other 5 combined. We should plan that D'Ville trip we had been talking about. I think between us we could do really well. I have some spots in mind. Hope we can get together for a hunt one of these days. Take care.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt,

I agree about the quarter. It really pissed me off too! The gov made the final choice and the gold theme came in second. Whart a crock!

Thanks for the comments about the gold. The gold up here does not compare to the stuff you guys get down in Mariposa County. <_< If you are ever up this way send me a PM and we can hook up for a hunt. Take care.

Cheers,

matt

Wes,

Thanks. I went to a couple different spots. I have been meaning to call you. I'll give you a try if I have time today. I try to get out as much as possible and ususally stay close to home. We should plan that trip with Reno Chris and wes. D'Ville is close enough to you for you to make a day trip or we can stay at my place. I saw on Rod's forum that Chris was up filming a show last weekend. Can't wait to see that one. I had plans to be up that way last weekend that fell through so I stayed local. Have you been out much lately? Take care.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt

I haven't been out very much, a couple of times up to omega, thats been about it. To many home chores and car repairs and fixing things at Dons mine. I think I have only got between a quarter and a half ounce this year, far below the usuall. You send me a PM and let me know when you want to go I don't think I have that much going on for the next couple of months, just a car show here in two weeks and a trip to Oregon in October. Downyville sounds good, I need to find some new spots.

hawk

What kind of show was Chris (from AZO?) filming? It would be cool to have a regularl weekly show on the tube about real prospecting...not like the current gold prospecting "infommercials".

Oooops - no, he was referring to me, not Chris Gholson, I was filming up at Sierra City.

See the thread he was talking about at:

http://www.arizonagoldprospectors.com/invi...howtopic=151365

And yes, I understand your "infommercials" point. However the segment I was filming was on reading the river. There was no "featured equipment" - I just talked about finding paystreaks and gold in a river environment, and then showed examples of the types of places I was talking about on screen. There are some shots of guys dredging and showing off their gold, but its not an equipment demo by any means. The show is supposed to be like a video version of an article I am writing on reading a river for paystreaks for the ICMJ mining journal. I am sure the segment will mention the mining journal somewhere, but in all the talking I did, I never actually mentioned the magazine myself :blush: (ooops - probably should have at least once or twice).

Chris Ralph

Mid September would work for me. We just need to set a date and stick with it. Sounds like wes from placerville would like to join as well. I typically go up there as much as possible without pissing off my wife. Most claims that I have seen go up for sale are 10k and above. Hawk, are you wanting to go up and dredge, metal detect or both? Chris, I would really like your opinion on some things. Is your reading a stream article complete and being published? Let's get in touch by PM and talk about it more. Take care.

Cheers,

Matt

The ICMJ article on reading the river is not yet written, but I have a pretty firm idea of it in my head, and I have notes from the shooting. Joey wants to issue the segment a the same time it comes out in print, so I expect it will be the October or maybe even the November issue before its actually released in the magazine as Joey has several segment projects to edit and produce.

Send me a PM and we will talk about it.

Chris

Thanks matt', Im still using a GP3000 , with an amp, and a collection of coils . Im usually in the motherload region. we have a home in Twain Harte, and outside Quincy, in between the two is where I go :rolleyes: . Some of my Detecting is on GCMA claims. Some on mine (2) (feather canyon) and around LaPorte.. the rest on USFS regions. Nonetheless, there seems to be a good following in the ML .

Nonetheless. I could see a gathering perhaps.

Pics are from 3 1/2 days in Mokelumne river area , way below Hwy 88. For a new area Im happy, i'll go back soon, and hit it harder.

Next week Im going to spend a week in and around the Stan' river (above Columbia) area and high benches. If anyone is in the region give a 'hollar'..

Cheers, john

Matt

I was just looking at doing a day or two metal detecting. I don't really like to dredge unless I can get away for a at least 5 to 7 days. It just seems your beating yourself to death only going for a day or two, to much setup for to short of a time. It seems like you just get down to bedrock and its time to pull out and head for home. How long a trip are you thinking of. Anyway give a yell, the last half of September is good so far.

Hawk