Nevada Discovery

In a little known and short lived gold district, in a remote corner of Nevada, I recently came across this rare piece of mining history. This is in better condition than I have seen in any museum. Even more amazing that it has remained here, untouched, for almost 100 years at 9000' elevation. The heavy winter snows should have collapsed it years ago. It was so well hidden, it was only visible from a small section of road and that at a distance. To get up close, one would have to quad cross country or hike in. The old road was washed out, over grown, and almost unrecognizable. The face plate below the stamps reads," Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Cal. 1913".

This a full 10 stamper, looking ready to pound again. All it needs is a little welding, a few nails, some grease, and a new drive belt (ok, maybe a little more than that). But still, an unusual find, even for Nevada. I have more pictures if anyone is interested.

Digger Bob

post-73-1221600454_thumb.jpg

post-73-1221600467_thumb.jpg

post-73-1221600477_thumb.jpg

Hey Digger

Great pictures from history past.If you would like to know what mine it is email me the county and I'll give you a list of old mines in it.Now all you will need is the GPS location because each mine is listed with it and you can pick it out yourself.The list of everything in that county is by County, Name,GPS and what they produce.

Chuck Anders

Hi Digger,

Cool stuff, fun to find, and contemplate how difficult it

must have been to haul all that iron and timbers in.

Its amazing that it has lasted lo these many years.

I was on a well known mine site in this area of Idaho

that was opened in the later part of the 1800's,

one that is huge in acreage, and many claims,

being reopened now.

One of the fellows on the claim eyeballed a nice

specimen, with visible gold showing, but a gold bug 2

gave but a tiny zip...an Xterra 70 detected nothing...

Thanks for sharing!

~LARGO~

Hey Digger

Great pictures from history past.If you would like to know what mine it is email me the county and I'll give you a list of old mines in it.Now all you will need is the GPS location because each mine is listed with it and you can pick it out yourself.The list of everything in that county is by County, Name,GPS and what they produce.

Chuck Anders

Chuck, I already know the name of the mine and have it GPS'd. Actually, there are many mines in the general area. How many this mill serviced I don't know. If you look closely at the top of the picture, you can see the mine itself. It's that big sideways cut in the bluff above it. Looks like they were following a seam in the bedrock.

BTW, about 50 away from this mill there is a shaft bored horizontially right next to the old road. Stacked inside the shaft on both sides of the floor are sacks and sacks of what I assume to be ore ready to be milled. The burlap bags are so old that many are split open and spilling out. There is no quartz in the area and the contents of the bags just look like ordinary dirt. I didn't go back into the mine, but there are hundreds of these sacks lined up agains the wall.

Even if I could get some of them out, I wouldn't know what to do with them. Anybody got an idea of what they are or what one could do with them?

Digger

Very cool Bob, have you found any gold in the area?

Thanks for sharing your find.

Gus-

No, no gold in this area that could be detected. I looked but it appears to be ore that had to be milled and mercuried out. No quartz or any mineralization that I am familiar with.

Digger

Hey Digger,

Those sacks could very well be ore waiting for processing

I know the gold in the area I described above, is

hidden in some light gray material, resembling clay,

and in no way resembles

gold until it is cleaned with acids.

I would expect that you beeped some of the sacked material.

And maybe hauled a little off???

Headed for RP area in a short while...

~LARGO~

Fantastic find and exciting discovery Digger! Gosh I'd like to have been with you to experience what you found. It could be the bags of material might have come from the output of the Stamp Mill. Sure hope you took some samples. Also I think it might be very interesting to know why the mine closed and why the bags of material are still there. Would like to see more of your pictures.

Here in Arizona at the framous Beehive Mine I've seen samples of beautiful fine graned gold ore that ran in a soft white clay like material ... not certain what the white material is. I bought a couple samples of the ore from the owner of the Beehive. I am not certain but I do think the Beehive Gold Mine has been sold. At any rate, I'm very glad I bought the ore samples from the Beehive Gold Mine.

Don

Maybe those are bags of Uranium ore? Did ya check if you glowed in the dark after that? :rolleyes: Seriously though, pretty interesting find. And that stamper...I have a truck sitting outside that looks a lot worse after only a few years. They sure made stuff better way back when... Thanks for posting the pics!