Just a sliver but it's GOLD!

Hi all, well this weekend I managed snag myself another little nugget, this time around it was a little 0.16 grammer-

Nug2.jpg

Found it right on the top surface with my SD2100 equiped with an 11" mono coil (again) very close to the area where I found the little 1/2 grammer last weekend. I've been trying to use a 14" mono coil to try and find the deeper stuff, but I keep going back to this combination since it seems to be working so good. This is almost the smallest piece of gold I've found with a detector (0.12 grams found with a VLF) so I'm proud of it. Gold is gold and any bit (no matter what size) is better than none so I'm happy camper.

I've been thinking it might be a good idea to break out my drywasher in the next month or so and run the material I found my last two nuggets in. I estimate it would probably take me a few days of shoveling to run all this material. I figure if the gold is this small there's a good chance there's plenty of pickers to be found. What do you guys think, could it be worth my time?

I will probably be trying a different area this upcoming weekend if the tranny on my truck gets fixed in time. It would be nice to come home with something, but I've learned when you start looking in a new area there's always a learning curve, so if I get skunked it won't hurt that much. Anybody got any tips when heading into a new place? I'll keep the confidence high and my coil on the ground, maybe I'll be lucky to get my coil over a piece of gold.

Enjoy!

Del

Nice gold Del...you know you are doing things right when you get the little bits...if your new area is the same type as where you have been, keep doing whatever you have been. If your new area is a true prospecting trip I would use a larger coil like the UFO or Mini-ufo to cover more ground faster...It appears to me you have got onto the gold-wagon pretty well.

Good Luck and see you at Gold Basin

Fred

Cool man, Something no matter how small it definitely better than nothing. I once was digging a bullet out of a crack in a rock and a tiny fleck of gold popped out. I was happier than heck.

And my 11" mono has now found more gold than all my other coils combined. And I have only had it a few months..love it.

Nice gold Del...you know you are doing things right when you get the little bits...if your new area is the same type as where you have been, keep doing whatever you have been. If your new area is a true prospecting trip I would use a larger coil like the UFO or Mini-ufo to cover more ground faster...It appears to me you have got onto the gold-wagon pretty well.

Good Luck and see you at Gold Basin

Fred

Hi Fred, I tried using an 11" x 17" Mono coil in this area and it just didn't work the best since it as a lot of variable ground heights. It seems round mono coils do the best here. Are you shooting for two meteorites (Gold Basin & Franconia) and a nugget this year? If so, look around for me out at Franconia next thursday and shoot me a pm if you'd like to meet up and camp out again.

Cool man, Something no matter how small it definitely better than nothing. I once was digging a bullet out of a crack in a rock and a tiny fleck of gold popped out. I was happier than heck.

And my 11" mono has now found more gold than all my other coils combined. And I have only had it a few months..love it.

Hey DD, yeah I always feel like I'm digging up bullets and occasionally a nugget pops out. I figure you gotta play the odds, the more time you spend in the field and the more targets you dig increases the probability of finding a piece of gold. This is something I learned from meteorite hunting (especially hunting dry lake beds) and it seems to nail down the mental side of this hobby for me. As for the 11" mono coil, yea I've tried to use other coils and somehow I usually end up putting my 11" mono coil back on. Their great because they pick up deep and shallow targets, excellent all around coil.

Del